• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

Sleeping Medication

Reaver

Wasting away
#1
I have a lot of trouble falling asleep and sometimes (or often) wake up early as well. To anyone with similar troubles: have you tried sleep meds and if so, how much have they helped?
 

Angie

Admin
SF Author
SF Supporter
#3
There are lots of choices for sleep aids.

I use quetaipine and mirtazapine (remeron). I sleep so much better these days.

You might start with your GP, they might start you with Ambien, as its fairly inexpensive and used quite a bit so side effects are known. It worked too well for me (was sleepy all day). Another medicine that is used is trazadone, which, if it works is super.

Good luck in finding some great sleep.
 
#4
I also take quetiapin 25mg and it helps me a bit.
I still wake up regularly during the night tho

Edit: I also tried mirtazapine but I got very vivid nightmares from it, which is why I stopped taking it.
 

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
#5
There's a whole plethora of meds out there to help one get to sleep. Ideally though, trying to address the underlying issue(s) causing the insomnia would be preferable than dosing yourself up. Easier said than done of course! But yeah, have a chat with your doc, tell him what's going on and go from there.

As an aside, have you tried adopting any sleep hygiene measures yet?
https://www.sleepfoundation.org/sleep-hygiene

Hope you'll be able to find something which will help.
 

Reaver

Wasting away
#6
There's a whole plethora of meds out there to help one get to sleep. Ideally though, trying to address the underlying issue(s) causing the insomnia would be preferable than dosing yourself up. Easier said than done of course! But yeah, have a chat with your doc, tell him what's going on and go from there.

As an aside, have you tried adopting any sleep hygiene measures yet?
https://www.sleepfoundation.org/sleep-hygiene

Hope you'll be able to find something which will help.
Addressing the issues would be best... getting started is always the hardest part, though. I've thought about going to my GP, usually on the really bad days since I kinda got used to my sleep being shit, but I always manage to convince myself not to. General anxiety being too much for me, I suppose.

I've tried the sleep hygiene stuff before (or as much as I could manage, at least) but I've never been able to stick to it. Mind you, I've had poor sleep hygiene for a decade or so at this point. It started by choice and developed into habits that are hard to break, it seems. Getting worse too, with many more days where I'd rather spend the entire time in bed.
 

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
#8
Addressing the issues would be best... getting started is always the hardest part, though. I've thought about going to my GP, usually on the really bad days since I kinda got used to my sleep being shit, but I always manage to convince myself not to. General anxiety being too much for me, I suppose.

I've tried the sleep hygiene stuff before (or as much as I could manage, at least) but I've never been able to stick to it. Mind you, I've had poor sleep hygiene for a decade or so at this point. It started by choice and developed into habits that are hard to break, it seems. Getting worse too, with many more days where I'd rather spend the entire time in bed.
Taking those first steps (in this case addressing those issues) are usually the hardest bit. I imagine combining that with your levels of anxiety can make for one hell of a stumbling block being placed in your way. In terms of trying to get seen by a doctor, would a tele-consultation be more preferable or is there someone whom you can lean on to help you overcome this barrier or being seen?

Regarding those poor sleep hygiene acts which have developed over time, yeah I get it in terms of how accustomed you must have become to them and so how hard it can be to break free. Maybe start of with one thing which you wish to change and try doing it in incremental steps. By gentle re-conditioning hell you never know it might work if you stick to it and might have a knock on effect by helping you to change any other bad sleeping habits but at a more rapid pace.
 

Reaver

Wasting away
#9
would a tele-consultation be more preferable
I'm worse in any kind of call, for some reason. Face to face would be easier for me to do. My dad has always been the one to make appointments for me and he goes with me as well, although I'm always a bit iffy about asking.

I'll try and figure something out with the sleep hygiene. My mind likes to wander when I'm trying to sleep and that's probably one the biggest issues, so whichever helps to stop that? I don't know if my bad habits contribute to it or if that's its own separate problem though.
 

anona123

Well-Known Member
#11
I've also had luck with seroquel (low doses) in the past.

Currently on trazodone which seems to help. Melatonin gets me to sleep but I still wake up.
 

Debzc

Well-Known Member
#12
I've been given zopiclone and diazepam to take together at night. I've had a couple of extra hrs kip but does slow my mind down a little
 

Auri

🎸🎶Metal Star🎵🥁
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
#13
I've been on Trazodone for years and it's the only thing that puts me to sleep. I am literally incapable of napping (as in, without taking the medication).

I used Mirtazapine in the past too, but that was making me way too tired and lethargic during the day (plus other side effects).

It's best to discuss with your doctor and try what's out there because everyone responds differently. *hug
 

teeboy68

Well-Known Member
#14
I've had Zopiclone prescribed in the past, and that definitely works. Bear with me here though because this might sound daft, and I thought so too at first, but if you have a hot milky drink, perhaps a warm bath, and then go to bed, make sure its dark, and put some meditation music on through headphones, that really helps me to sleep. Perhaps I don't fall asleep while it's on but I definitely do once it's finished and sleep quite well, which is something I never used to do. Try it, you might surprise yourself.
 

Flying Fox

Upside-down Hugger
SF Supporter
#15
As someone who has taken both, avoid Ambien and Mirtazapine like the plague. I use Tizandine for my paraplegia which is a muscle spasm relaxant. It makes me feel drowsy so I take it when I go to bed. I find that playing relaxing music or an audio book quietly in the background helps too.

Ambien - It is very strong, addictive and in the long run completely takes away your ability to fall asleep when you stop taking it. It also causes you to hallucinate. If you do try ambien, I would start at 1/4 of a pill, and only as needed. Keep your doctor responsible and make sure they don't keep on giving and giving it to you.

Mirtazapine - Also very strong; throughout the day you will feel completely out of it. The side effect I experienced was a huge increase in appetite accompanied by weight gain.
 
Last edited:

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top