So I just got my Psychological Evaluation Results...

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Tanee, Mar 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tanee

Tanee Active Member

Today I was able to pick up my results from my psychological evaluation.
    It said "Bipolar Disorder I Mixed - Moderate" and "Borderline Personality Disorder with Dependent & Avoidant Traits".
    My AFG (which had something to do with how bad your symptoms are) was "Extremely High".

I'm really having problems processing this information and I believe it's because I don't really understand what the second part is.
    I understand Bipolar Disorder I Mixed.
    But not Borderline Personality Disorder with Dependent and Avoidant Traits.

Can anybody help me?

2. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I do not know either. But i can help by offering you a hug (((((Tanee))))) and to tell you that everything in an evaluation is not always correct. although if they prescribe medications for the condition I hope you will take them. So you can have the poissibility of relief.

Please make sure to know that these are conditions that you emotionally/psychologically grapple with. They are not the definition of who you are. The evaluations only talk about the imbalances. Please also know you have good things about who you are. Please try to also know this. Otherwise people can feel way too overwhelmed with the diagnosed imbalances and disorders. :hug:

3. Tanee

Tanee Active Member

Thank you. :) That does help a lot.

The thing that scares me, has always scared me, is the thought that I can't really trust my own brain. I don't know if what my brain is telling me is normal is or isn't.
    For instance, last night my fiance and I fought.
    She rolled over and went to sleep without our usual snuggling & good night kiss.
    It felt like a punch in the gut. I was SO upset about it...then I thought about what I read about the "dependent" part of my diagnosis.
    I just started bawling because I don't know if being so upset about this is normal or not.
    And if it's not, then what about everything else I feel for my fiance? What if nothing's right?

4. lozzie

lozzie Well-Known Member

I cant honestly say that I know. But I wanted to let you know that It can get better, doctors have just now given what you have a name. Its important not to be fearful of it. To not run but to learn from it. And go far and beyond. I send also heaps of hugs im only 21 so i might be talking rubbish but i really mean what I say :)

If you even need someone to talk to I am always here. I also enjoy a good ramble :)

Your awesome :D

5. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

The new ICD-10 coding system refers now to Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder instead of 'borderline' as it was felt that borderline terminology was both confusing and stigmatizing; however the DSM-IV continues to use this term. In short, Emotional Unstable Personality Disorder represents a situation where emotional experienced are magnified...where one person might feel sad, the other might feel grief...dependent and avoidant traits do seem at odds, as people with emotional unstable personality usually desire greatly intimate relationships but have some difficulty

In any case, we are not our diagnoses...what is helpful is when the provider (pdoc or such) decides on the most effective course of treatment..also, please realize that this is not my field of expertise, so consult your doctor regarding what was meant by this.

6. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I am sending some hugs to you :hug: :hug: :hug:

7. Nocturnal Ponderer

Nocturnal Ponderer Well-Known Member

The problem with diagnoses, especially ones which contain the word "disorder", is that they imply that your very essence is 'disordered'. Whether we realise it or not, this has a profound unconscious effect on our self esteem because it is extremely invalidating. Who has the right to judge you as disordered? Why are you problematised? I often think that psychiatrists suffer from "pervasive labelling disorder". It might be worthwhile not consulting with 'experts' at all. And as for medication, I think it is absolutely criminal the toxic effect much psychopharmacology has on neurons.

Diagnoses locate the problem in the individual, and that simply compounds one's condition. That way, the drug companies can justify their 'treatments'. It's a human tragedy that enormous numbers of people are medicated. I think the social conditions and the social systems in which we all live are highly influential in some people's distress. I would locate a significant degree of people's distress there.

As a psychology graduate with experience in mental institutions I recommend you stop subjecting yourself to the 'expert discourses' of psychologists and psychiatrists. I can direct you to a research paper that shows, quite rigourously, that 100% of the consultants who developed the more popular 'disorders' in the DSM-IV had financial links with the drug companies. And one last thing, if mental 'disorders' were real conditions, would they likely just change (like they are in the new DSM-V) because the drug companies think they should change? And if they do change, what are the implications for those who were diagnosed with this, but are now diagnosed with that? What does that say about the objective nature of diagnoses? What do their flexibility tell us?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.