Social Anxiety Disorder

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Nanashi, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nanashi

Nanashi Member

Anyone else suffering with it? I have been suffering with it for many years now. I don't talk with people anymore besides my family and 2 close friends. When someone talk with me I feel so nervous that I'm not able to sleep at night.
  2. Sea Sparkles

Sea Sparkles Well-Known Member

Hey, Nanashi.

I've suffered from Social anxiety disorder all of my life just about. That and AVPD. (Avoidance personality disorder). Have you talked to a doctor about your SA? They can deffo help a lot. SSRI's help and or beta blockers, both non addicting, too. Beta blockers help with the physical part of SA. Your on a suicide forum for obvious reasons, but anxiety can cause depression, and suicidal thoughts. Possibly if you get SA under control the depression would lesson?

All the best,
  3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Just want to say i can relate hun hope also you reach out to your doctor hun and get help now ok for your anxiety hugs
  4. windlepoons

windlepoons Well-Known Member

Yes I suffer from SA. May I recommend Gillian Butler's Overcoming Social Anxiety & Shyness. It is a very helpful book.
    I find talking to others very hard, and one wrong word can make me so very anxious.
  5. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

About five years ago I used to suffer from it quite badly. I was terrified of speaking on the phone, I was paranoid and convinced everyone was talking about me or looking at me. I could barely function. Then one day I was in a rare good mood and decided to take advantage of it - I applied for a job and actually got it. I panicked but I stuck with it and soon found myself with no other choice than to speak to people, help them, serve them at the till.

I've had 3 different jobs since then. I've found that my SA almost vanishes when I'm working, but when I'm out of work for more than a few weeks it starts to creep back.

I'm not saying you should do this because I know how hard it is. Throwing yourself in like that is in no way easy and I'm not sure if it would work for me again. But taking advantage of good moods is a must.
  6. Nanashi

Nanashi Member

Thanks everyone for the advice.
    Windlepoons, I'll search for this book, thanks^^.
    Snarrylover, I feel exactly like that. I feel like people is staring at me and making fun of me. I know they are not, but I can't stop this feeling. When talking to others, my voice tremble and my mind go blank. Glad to know you are better, I hope that you can keep working^^.

I've been having suicidal tendencies before having the disorder. The social anxiety began some years ago when I isolated myself from the others because of my suicidal tendencies. Than I moved to a big city and become worse. I'm living again in the small town I lived before, but it didn't get any better.
    I consulted a doctor around 2 years ago. It was not because of my psychological problems, but because I was feeling my skin burning and itching. The local hospital couldn't find the cause, so my friend introduced me to a doctor. Before the consult, she talked with him about my problems, she hasn't told me but thanks to that he talked with me about it and I told him everything I've been suffering. My skin problems were psychological, I couldn't even imagine that. He prescribed me some medication that helped a little with the anxiety. I wasn't feeling so nervous around people and was able to do things like take a walk. I was still hesitant to talk with other people though, but this was probably because I had no subject due to long isolation.
    I couldn't continue with the consults because I live in a very small town and I don't have a car. It's difficult for me to travel constantly to consult.
    Even though this it's not the cause to my suicidal thoughts, it helps me feel desperate. I wish I wouldn't feel so bad by just going to the supermarket. I have two dogs and I walk them late at night and if I see someone coming, I try to avoid going near them by choosing another path. I'm not working and I feel very ashamed by this, sometimes I don't want to eat to not spend my brother's money. At least I wouldn't feel so miserable if I could take care of myself.
    I tried to face it many times, but when I become too nervous I start to have suicidal impulses. I can't control myself when I have one, so I'm afraid of trying more.

Sorry for the long text, I think it's the first time in many years that I wrote so much. Sorry for the confusing text too, I hope it's understandable.
  7. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

You don't have to apologise because you write a lot :) Sometimes it helps just to give a voice to the things that are happening.

Are you still on the medication? It might be a good idea to stay on if it helps you feel less nervous.

Maybe you could try walking your dogs in the morning or during the afternoon? If you feel eyes straying your way then they are simply looking at your dogs. Nothing to worry about.

I used to wear a coat with a hood when I was at my most nervous. It felt like a shield and I felt safe behind it.

It can be overcome. It just takes time :)
  8. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I've suffered from social anxiety, generalized anxiety and social phobias all my life, but only now is a bit led to total isolation of myself but now I'm working on getting out there takes up all my energy...when I have appointments to go to, I worry so much that I can't sleep for days until it happens....sometimes if someone stares at me, I immediately think they are talking about me to their's really hard to get over it but it can be done...

I just wanted you to know you are not alone :)
  9. Nanashi

Nanashi Member

Thanks for the kind words everyone, write here helped me a lot^^. I hope everyone can overcome this and feel better around people.

I'm not on medication anymore. I can't get medical prescription since I can't visit the doctor in another city.
    I'm trying to convince my brother to walk the dogs with me, I would feel safer this way. The problem in my town is that I was raised here, so a lot of people know me. When they see me, they come to talk and I feel nervous.
    Sometime ago, I had a friend come visit me and he thought I was annoyed by him, when I was not. I felt so bad and the worse of all, was that I didn't know how to explain it, because I'm really bad with words. Ever since, I became even more scared of go out and come across someone in the street. If my brother is with me, he can hold the conversation but he doesn't like to go out much.
    The coat with hood is a good idea. I was thinking about putting sunglasses and try to walk a little at the morning.
  10. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Yeah, I tend to avoid just about everyone....but sometimes I force myself into social situations. It can feel good talking to people if they make me feel comfortable. I even feel awkward around people I've known for years, but I'm trying to overcome that.
  11. CGMAngel

CGMAngel Well-Known Member

Nanashi - thanks for the posts. You are certainly not alone. I, too, feel people are always staring at me and judging me. And when I see someone coming towards me I also try to find another path. I've discovered quite a few unexpected places that way!

Is your brother going to walk with you? I think that is a great idea. I feel a certain sense of security when I am walking with someone because I don't feel so vulnerable and exposed to the judging eyes of others - they have someone else to look at besides me!

I try to force myself to go walking everyday. As much as I often don't want to, I usually feel better afterwards if I do go out. Sense of accomplishment or something.

Please post again and let us know how you are doing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.