Social anxiety stands in my way yet again.

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by AsphyxiateOnMisery, Nov 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

I have to do a presentation on my final paper for sociology. -_-

I have, like, the worst social anxiety, ever. To say that I am not looking forward to this would be a huge understatement. And yet, if I don't do it, I'm automatically losing 10 points out of 50, leaving me with a B (an 80), that is, if everything else is absolutely perfect, which I'm not going to count on, so chances are, I'd get a C, and I can't just settle for that considering how hard I've worked all semester to get As and the only thing standing between me and the A is my social anxiety. So not cool. The only thing I can think of to do is just take a bit more Suboxone than usual that day maybe, to try to calm myself down. Sigh. The last time this happened was in my Psychopathology class, and I ended up taking a B instead of an A for my final grade just for the fact that I refused to do the presentation. I don't want to do that again. And yet, if I attempt to do this, I'm afraid I'm going to look like a complete retard. So...any suggestions would be nice.

2. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

I totally feel your pain. I really really struggled with presentations when I was doing my degree - literally had to prop myself up against a table because I was shaking so badly I would have fallen down otherwise. Now I can (could) stand in front of 30 teenagers and wing a lesson without feeling remotely stressed about it. Unfortunately it is one of those things that gets better the more you do it - but having to go through it to make it get better is extremely unpleasant.

I really don't recommend doing your presentation a little bit high - that doesn't sound like a good plan at all.

Rehearse your presentation and when it gets to it, pick a single person and give it "to" them. Focus on them and speak about 50% slower than you think you need to. You are getting A's so you know your stuff - you got this - just need to not build it into an unsurmountable problem. You are smart and articulate and if you are making A's you are doing better than the majority of the people watching you. And everyone else also finds this presentation thing intimidating and horrible - so they are on your side - they want you to do well. I know it might not seem like it but honestly - when I am watching someone give a presentation I am really really rooting for them. Remind yourself that everyone in there actually wants it to go well.

Nothing bad is going to happen. I know that doesn't much help - but it is true. You are going to give your presentation and everyone is going to be at the very worst polite. Polite is the worst case scenario here - genuinely impressed is the better case scenario, but there is nothing wrong with polite.

I don't have advice - but I do know you have this. You can do this. What's more - you can do it well. Breathe through it and remember everyone is on your side. And report back!! Good luck :hug:

3. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

Suboxone stopped getting me high about 4 years ago, lol. Ever since I had the bright idea of trying heroin. Only reason I take it now is to stop opiate withdrawal. You don't get high unless you have absolutely no tolerance for opiates, but it does work as an anxiolytic if you take a little more than the dose you're usually taking. And I mean that in the sense that you just feel calmer mentally, but it doesn't get you high, though. You're still coherent and sober. I figure it's probably a better alternative than taking Xanax, which I don't have any tolerance for anymore, so I probably would be whacked out of my mind if I went that route. On another note, I did end up e-mailing my professor, asking her if I can at least write down what I'm planning to say instead of like improvising or trying to remember it without having anything to go off of, because I'm absolutely terrible at that and would probably just freeze up and not know what to say. She's already aware that I have some social anxiety (just probably not aware of the extent of it). But I'm hoping that I can at least just go up there and read off my paper instead of having to think about what to say. That would make it a little easier on me. But thanks for the luck and the response, it's very appreciated

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.