Social Anxiety treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of the doctors I've talked to, they all said I have social anxiety which contributes to my depression and drinking. I'm going to a young adults outpatient program which is with people, who some of which are going through the same thing. I figured this would be best for me as I could learn how to get over my social anxiety. The problem is despite being surrounded by people who are in the same place as me, I still feel inadequate to them, and whenever they initiate conversation I can't come up with anything to say, my mind feels like it hit a wall. My question is are there any methods people use to help get themselves over this?

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
the more you put yourself out there with people i think it helps but i also think medication has helped as well take anxiety away

aoeu

Practice practice practice. Every time one of them tries to make conversation with you, do your best - it's not always possible to do well. Don't give up, it takes a while, but you'll improve.

windlepoons

I recommend a book by Gillian Butler called 'Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness' as a great place to start. It explains what it is and how you can use Cognitive Behavioural Therapy techniques to break the cycle of negative thoughts.

pancake111

I also have social anxiety, and i'm on medication for it, but it doesn't work very well (for me at least). Don't quit trying to talk to other people because then it's never going to get better. You should try cognitive behavior therapy (CBT), i've never tried it, but i've read that it's very effective.

windlepoons

How do you do CBT? Whom should I consult? Coz I've been experiencing anxiety as well since forever.
Firstly I recommend Gillian Butler's 'Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness' as a great resource.

CBT involves investigating why you have the thoughts you have, and then changing them. It is not a quick process but it works.

You have sheets to fill in, I have some if you'd like to see them, that you fill in. I just did one each night. The first helps you identify what you thought and how if affected you ('I thought they would dislike me if I approached them. I was thinking of the bullies at school. So I stayed away from them'). The second helps you challenge this thought. Over time this process becomes automatic and allows you to identify these cognitive disfunctions as they happen.

Also you must identify where the thoughts came from, usually with a counsellor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the sheets part because I love writing about my feelings. No one listens to them anyway so I write them instead. And I would love to read the book as soon as I can find a copy. Regarding a counselor, I don't think I can comply with that since nobody knows I'm being like this. Thank you so much anyway.

windlepoons

I like the sheets part because I love writing about my feelings. No one listens to them anyway so I write them instead. And I would love to read the book as soon as I can find a copy. Regarding a counselor, I don't think I can comply with that since nobody knows I'm being like this. Thank you so much anyway.
Excellent, if you like to write about your feelings thats a great start. I hate it personally!

I can get you an electronic copy of the sheets if you are interested.

As for the counselor well the sheets and book should be a good start anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00