Social Anxiety

Pebble mouse

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
SF Pro
Thought I'd create a thread about SAD. Who else here suffers from this? If so, how has it affected your life? What have you tried to improve or manage your anxiety?

For me, my SAD is severe and generalized. For example, I find just checking my mail difficult. I am *trying* to get out as often as possible, walking every day, going to Meetup groups etc. I don't work because of my SAD. I have Borderline PD as well but it's mainly my anxiety that is holding me back from work TBH.

Anyone else?

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
I think the best way to deal with it is to realize and know that most of the time, none of the people who are around you are ever as aware of you as you are. They're focused on themselves, not you. You're free.

Last edited by a moderator:

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hi there, I suffer with severe anxiety and just wanted to mention a book that has helped me so might help you, psychiatrists often recommend it to people with severe anxiety its called ''Feel the Fear and do it Anyway'' by Dr. Susan Jeffers.

Other than that I think counseling can help a lot, maybe try CBT - that is currently helping me.

Wishing you the best *hug

Lewis83

Thought I'd create a thread about SAD. Who else here suffers from this? If so, how has it affected your life? What have you tried to improve or manage your anxiety?

For me, my SAD is severe and generalized. For example, I find just checking my mail difficult. I am *trying* to get out as often as possible, walking every day, going to Meetup groups etc. I don't work because of my SAD. I have Borderline PD as well but it's mainly my anxiety that is holding me back from work TBH.

Anyone else?
My doctor told me I had generalised anxiety, but my psychologist said it was mostly social anxiety. There are many different things that can make me anxious and it has had a significant impact on my life. I've made some progress but I've also stalled a little bit in these last few months, which has also made me feel low and depressed. I don't work either because of my condition, but I know I'll have to do something different to what I'm doing now in order to make progress.

shelled1

unbelonger
SF Supporter

Anyone else?
I'm self-diagnosed social anxiety. Indeed, I chose to work at home. I find walking can be my only source of interaction on days that I go, saying "hello" or "good morning."

This year I've been forced to interact more with people in various settings and I never feel good about it. I worry about the awkward vibe I give and notice that otherwise friendly people become more curt when having to deal with me.

Being socially anxious contributed to the downfall of my marriage, as my ex started to want to experience more out of life and I wasn't at that point yet. He experienced positive interactions which led to a kind of momentum of wanting to experience more and more, and I needed to get off the ground. He demanded that I make friends.

Besides work, SA has really affected my ability to seek health care in a timely matter. I've made things so much worse by not going, just so I wouldn't have to deal with the awkwardness.

I feel so detached from the world when having to interact, like my mind is not being fully present and I'm shelling myself up to spare the pain in real time (where later I will eat the experience up piece by piece and digest).

It also doesn't help that I am boring and without interests. Maybe that's just the SA talking or is it a life devoid of much experience?

I took an Uber ride the other day and the driver was very friendly, wanted to know what my favorite series was and I'm just not the type to pick a "favorite" I guess, so I froze up for a while LOL. I tried to ask questions about the traffic to my Uber drivers seeing as it's road construction season and there have been detours. I am just realizing asking questions about their job (if dealing with them in their workplace) is a safe tactic and makes you look friendly. I wish I could be the "fly on a wall" for Uber rides and learn what people like to talk about or how they interact :)

I don't know if my dealings with people since becoming single has made me any "better." But I guess I'm able to do what I need to do a little bit easier now and shrug it off, "whatever will be will be."

foreverforgotten

Quiet Observer 🦋
SF Supporter
Hi there, I suffer with severe anxiety and just wanted to mention a book that has helped me so might help you, psychiatrists often recommend it to people with severe anxiety its called ''Feel the Fear and do it Anyway'' by Dr. Susan Jeffers.

Other than that I think counseling can help a lot, maybe try CBT - that is currently helping me.

Wishing you the best *hug
Im going to look into that book.. :3

foreverforgotten

Quiet Observer 🦋
SF Supporter
I think the best way to deal with it is to realize and know that most of the time, none of the people who are around you are ever as aware of you as you are. They're focused on themselves, not you. You're free.
I've been called out on my social anxiety for weird body language..and made fun of at work..its been humiliating sometimes..

shelled1

unbelonger
SF Supporter
yes, it's been my experience that some people can and do "people watch" and make comments. If I had never been "called out" then I probably wouldn't be anxious. Or if I felt that most everyone got "called out", I wouldn't feel like I was particularly standing out.

I suppose when I go grocery shopping, most of the time it's fine. In social situations where I have to participate, it is noticed.

Then I wonder do ppl ever feel bad for making such comments?

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00