social anxiety

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by wallflower, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wallflower

wallflower Well-Known Member

Have been having bad anxiety when I walk around public places. I haven't ever noticed my anxiety to be this bad until I started school. I'm not going to continue with school because it's not working out. I am still suffering from the anxiety though. I started taking diphenhydramine for the anxiety because it seems to help and it's over the counter. I think it may be having a bad effect on me. Today I was feeling great, and I wasn't as nervous. I pulled out a book and as I was reading it the words I could hear them being spoken in the vents of the library, and through the door of the people talking. I knew that they weren't reading every single word that I was reading from the book.
    I have gotten this way before. I haven't been this way in awhile. I think it's helping with the anxiety but its causing delirium which is a possible side effect. I don't know what to do anymore. I can't go anywhere without feeling self-conciouse. I can't make it go away. Can't make it stop.

2. Melmoth the Wanderer

Melmoth the Wanderer Well-Known Member

I have social anxiety, too. The only thing that seems to help is the medication I'm currently taking. I've tried cognitive therapy, and while it does help a bit, I still can't control my fear without the meds.

Diphenhydramine can cause auditory hallucinations, especially if you take more than what is recommended on the package.

I wouldn't keep taking diphenhydramine, as there is the possibility of overdose. See a psychiatrist and find a safer and more effective medicine. I hadn't realized how much my anxiety had affected my life until it was at a manageable level.

I hope you can find the help you need. :hug:

3. wallflower

wallflower Well-Known Member

Thanks. I haven't found something that works yet. Is there a medication that you would recommend?

4. Melmoth the Wanderer

Melmoth the Wanderer Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I'd recommend it, necessarily, but I'm currently on paroxetine. It's become less effective over the years, but it still helps me to actually interact with the world. I'm not a doctor, so I'm not sure why mine prescribed this particular medication to me. In your case, your psychiatrist might prescribe an anti-anxiety med instead of an anti-depressant. The meds really can help, though, if you get on the right one.

5. ajgarcia

ajgarcia New Member

I don't know if i suffer from anything, as it rarely happens, sometimes when i go to bed at night, i hear a lot of random stuff, a lot of people talking to me saying stupid things, i can't recall exactly what they say, but it's usually random things and sometimes i even see faces all of a sudden, it happens rarely, maybe once in 2 months, so i think it might be my imagination, what do you guys think?

6. ajgarcia

ajgarcia New Member

Please delete the above post, my mistake, it wasn't for this thread, but for another one, sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.