social media and bullying

Jayjay289

Jay Jay from the UK
Staff Alumni
When will Social Media platforms tackle the bullying that occurs?

I do not always speak up for others, however I know from messages and posts on various sites that any number of people are being bullied and in turn abused each day.

The bigger issue is that is is the passive bullying and abuse that hardly any one appears to see and is usually via the messaging system. I do not mean disagreements, I mean when it starts to become name calling and very personal and for me that becomes abusive and if it continues, it is bullying.

Where is the line between disagreement and being abusive to someone? What do you do when you receive an unwanted message that starts as advice you never asked for and then turns into name calling? Many on here have also suffered because they stand up for a cause and in turn appear to have Groups of people and even PODS gang up against them.

I often ask myself why they do this and then I suggest that it is related to low self worth or poor boundaries. I am quite happy to speak up about these issues and certainly from a personal level where I have been on the receiving end of bullying throughout my life.

Cagla

romantic bastard
It happened here once. I won't give a name. I just replied with the same amount of anger and bad mouthing. So it stopped. It's easier when you can write anything. Im not saying I did the good thing. Probably I shouldn't have reacted this way. But it's what it is. .

Jayjay289

Jay Jay from the UK
Staff Alumni
It happened here once. I won't give a name. I just replied with the same amount of anger and bad mouthing. So it stopped. It's easier when you can write anything. Im not saying I did the good thing. Probably I shouldn't have reacted this way. But it's what it is. .
Calga thank you for your post, if this happens again report the conversation straight away people like @Lotus @Petal @Sunspots @Walker etc do a fantastic job and I am sure they would be very upset to learn that some sort of bullying or anger towards other members is taking place and they can deal with it quickly effectivley :)

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
Staff and admins here won't tolerate bullying here ever, it's just not acceptable. Please if you ever feel like you're being targeted, please let us know. Preferably press the "report" button on the offending post as that can take us straight to it. Don't ever be afraid of doing that, we want all our members to feel safe and welcome here.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00