Some advice before discussing at appt

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by FrainBart, Aug 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

NOTE: I have an appointment on tuesday with my local CMHT (community mental health team). This thread is asking for advice on something, and whether it should be brought up whilst at this appointment.

I really dont know how to explain fully what it is, but it has happened a fair few times, (not too regularly). There are times where I seemingly pass out, without passing out. Where I have a chunk of 30 minutes where I cannot remember what I have done or what has happened with in that time frame. One minute I will be talking to someone and then come back to reading something or looking at a picture, shaking, dripping in sweat, and not noticing 30 minutes has passed me by. I have no recollection of the last 30 minutes and it is as if it has only been a minute to me.

I so frequently "lose" myself, when talking on the phone if someone speaks to me I can no longer hear the person on the other end of the phone, when writing, typing, reading cooking watching tv... its as if the rest of the world doesnt exist, My ex has started frequent disagreements over me "ignoring him" not listening to him... etc yet I have no recollection of anything said to me at all.

I am just wondering whether this is anything worth bringing up at the appointment, and if so... how do I bring it up... Some of it can be very disorientating and frustrating... not knowing if someones spoken to me.

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I would advise bringing it up because it sounds like dissociation to me which can be a symptom of certain underlying mental health issues which can be addressed and treated. I would tell them just as you have described it here as it describes what is happening perfectly well. And if you feel you can't, write this down and show them so then at least some way of the other, they will know about it.

3. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

My main concern is I have always attributed the "not hearing things etc" as being absent minded that I am just not paying attention. hence my reluctance on ever bringing it up

4. nightfallagain

nightfallagain Well-Known Member

It all depends on how/what you want to become of it. Let me explain
    I have had more than enough "blackouts" where I have gone, at most, two hours in an episode wandering around without shoes and/or talking to a crisis line. Too many to count actually. It seems I was not "myself" but another form of myself in which I created. I would not talk to anyone..dr's, family, friends...only one officer in which I felt totally safe and trusting, but would deny when they'd reiterate what he told them I said. It wasn't until he stayed there and talked to a dr with me where I was "assigned" someone from the mental health team. It has taken a year and a bit for me to open up to this therapist (partnered with a psychiatrist) and have been diagnosed with emotional detachment disorder. If you are comfortable and trusting of whom you speak with, and it is the same therapist/psychiatrist who will be taking you on, then by all means TALK TO THEM SOONER THAN LATER. I delayed my therapy because I got tired and frustrated trying to explain things that I didn't understand over and over from the beginning to different dr's and never got any results until that officer took my trusting him to a new level.

Is this appointment orientation into the program? If this is, it will be in a group setting where they explain their obligation to you, confidentiality etc..and forms and questionnaire for you to fill out to determine who to assign to you, and possibly what will benefit you. No need to bring up your condition unless you are in a private session.

You are not absent minded.
    Remember, the only obligation you have is to yourself. Be true to yourself and "your" comfort zone.

5. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

Thank you for replying. the appointment I am having on tuesday is with the on duty nurse. they are going to relay all the information that I give them to my doctor (I believe psychologist... the same psychologist who was intent of discharging me from any care) I will unlikely be under any designated care from CMHT as they are spread thinly.

6. nightfallagain

nightfallagain Well-Known Member

Be sure to let the nurse (probably an intern to psychology) know the details and your concern over this. Do not let them dismiss these episodes. Your episodes may be different than mine, but for me, the more worries and anxious I became to try and understand something I didn't, the episodes became more frequent and more dangerous.

7. Lorax

Lorax Well-Known Member

I would advice telling the one you get assigned. Could be "dissociation" which comes from a number of disorders.

Could also be a medical issue, best to be safe. Best of luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.