Some advice would be nice..

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Beka, Jul 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beka

Beka Well-Known Member

Let me start off by stating that I do not have an ED, nor do I think I have one.

But I do have eating problems and this part of the forum seemed the best place to go.

I go through 'phases' of not eating for about two days, because I do not need to put on anymore weight as I look disgusting enough as it is.

I know it's a problem when I do this, everyone seems to think it is anyway. But I do not lose any weight, at all. I can't see it when I look at my body.
    I want people to get off my backs about eating. If I do not want to eat (I think it's a horrible habit) then I want to be left alone in that short period in which I don't.

Because people are saying to me that it's an issue it's making me want to bring it up with the therapist. Should I?

Also because I have low blood pressure as it is, should I not be doing these two-day stints where I don't eat???
  2. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I think it is something that you do need to bring up with therapist and psychiatrist. You may not yet have a full blown eating disorder, but the seeds planted and it is something that needs addressing, sooner rather than later.

Not eating can affect your blood pressure and your blood sugar levels so for your physical health, no you should not be doing 2 day stints where you don't eat. If you want to lose weight, do it through moderating your diet and exercise. It's much more healthier and natural for your body. Also, you are more likely to put on weight through not eating for a period of time, then going on a binge.
  3. Beka

Beka Well-Known Member

I do exercise regularly and I did have a good diet, but it's just slowly slipped into this where I'm just not hungry and I just feel ill if I eat when I'm not hungry. I can eat little things but I can't eat, say, a sandwich when I'm not hungry it just seems to piss my body off.
    I've never really binged, I've never felt the need for it after not eating for a few days.
  4. Cecilie

Cecilie Member

I promise you, this is how a eating disorder stars. Its not all about how you eat.. But that you punish yourself for feeling discusting, and then dont eat. After a while you loose weight in a unhealthy way. And you just need to countinue.
    Thats when it starts.. I have recovered bulimia, and it was one hell of a job.

I dont like my body now eighter... But i figured out it does not help to punish myself. It just grow the feeling of disgust.
    Its better to have energy, then be unhealth and underweigth.

Maybe you sholud see a therapeut. Its better to do it in a early state.. It easier to recover.
    I felt and did excatly what you did in the begining... And its really not a good idea too keep that way.
    But its good to hear that you can see that you have a problem yourself. Thats the first step to recover :)

Hug from me :) and sorry, im a norweigan girl. Mye english is not that great ;)
  5. Beka

Beka Well-Known Member

Cecilie your english is great!
    I spoken to my psychiatrist before about how much I hate the way I look because I'm fat and they just brushed it off.

It just brings me back to my childhood where if I ate any sweets I'd just want to spit it out because if felt nasty. I didn't understand anything like that then.
  6. Cecilie

Cecilie Member

Hm, i don't understand how they can treat you like that. They have to take you seriously.
    Look like its not like a typical ED, but you do have some sympomts.
    You can try another one. You should not just try to fix it alone. Its not very easy, and you need professional advise and someone who support you when you fell back. Not all friends understand a problem like that when don't know what you are going thru.
    But hang on :) I have faith in you :)kr
  7. TheStruggle

TheStruggle Active Member

I agree with Cecilie. If your psychiatrist doesn't take you seriously, change psychiatrists. That person obviously doesn't understand you. Beka, it's good that you recognize that something's not right. Trust me, you'll feel a lot better if you get help now. Okay? :) Stay safe.
  8. Brave

Brave Member

I am worried you are in the early stages of developing an eating disorder. I am by no means a doctor, dietician, therapist, or psychiatrist (who are all people you could talk to) but the fact that you are worried about how your body looks and then often don't eat for two days can be a sign. Body Image is a huge part of eating disorders- people with EDs often don't see their body accurately in the mirror so while you may not see any changes others might be. Low Blood Pressure is also an issue with EDs so if you already have this you really need to be careful. I am so sorry that your psychiatrist brushed you off. So many people think that you only have an ED is you are super thin or are binging and purging but that's not true. They have a diagnosis called EDNOS- eating disorder not otherwise specified. That might be where you are right now. Please keep reaching out for help and take care of yourself.
  9. Beka

Beka Well-Known Member

I'm currently going through several assessments to see whether or not I can do group therapy so I don't actually have a therapist/psychiatrist anymore.

Most people who develop an eating disorder though aren't aware of it are they? That's what I've always heard, from people who I know have been through it.

I really don't think I'm in the early stages of one at all. I'm aware of what EDs are.
  10. Brave

Brave Member

You are right that most people who develop eating disorders often don't know they are developing one until they are in pretty deep. I am glad that you are going through some assessments- it is better to be safe than sorry. Group therapy might be a great place for you- if it is run well (i.e. rules about not mentioning numbers, being careful about triggering info., etc.). I am also glad that you are aware of what EDs are- that can help but I know I was always hard on myself- I would think I'm a teacher- I have been through so many trainings on what to look out for in students who might be developing EDs and then it happened to me and I didn't even realize that was what was happening until I was in pretty deep. I am just glad that you are talking about your concerns and taking action- that is often the hardest part- even if it turns out you don't have an ED, you are taking care of you!
  11. Beka

Beka Well-Known Member

I'll be in the group therapy for BPD, not an ED. That's what I mean, I can't develop an ED if I'm aware of what it is...I can always pull myself out of these behaviors if I absolutely have to.
  12. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

I'm a psych major. I was very much aware of what EDs were. In fact, thinking I could pull myself out of one is exactly how I formed one. Because I believed it couldn't affect me because I was aware of what they were, so I believed I was some how granted immunity. That is a common thought frame in people with eating disorders.

It doesn't sound like you necessarily have one yet, but skimming your posts, I can see many warning signs. Many behaviors that are indicative of disordered eating patterns. I would definitely bring it up with your therapist.

It starts slow. Skipping a few meals. Not eating because it feels disgusting (maybe even wrong?) to do so. Worrying about weight, or dinner. And then bam... you realize you actually can't pull out.
  13. Beka

Beka Well-Known Member

I don't like eating because it feels horrible, yeah it might taste nice but I just cringe inwardly at the thought of eating. I don't like my weight. The only reason I worry baout dinner is because I'll have to eat meat. And on meat is fat. I can't put the stuff into my mouth otherwise I'll throw up. Causes an argument everytime cause I'll literally pick and pick at meat until there are now chewy bits etc. My family don't like waste.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.