Some kind of fit... Not sure if anyone can offer insight...

Status
Not open for further replies.

feathers

Last night I was drinking quite heavily and apparently out of random came convulsions of my upper body and my arms that I could not control. They got worse until my friends called an ambulance. The paramedics treated me very poorly, acting as though I could just stop what I was doing, telling me to “sit up” even though I was lying on the floor thrashing pretty badly. I ended up screaming a lot of profanity at the paramedics (and I know that it wasn’t the alcohol that made me do that, it seems to come with the whole convulsion thing - I just seemed to turn into an aggressive mental case).

I’ve no idea what it actually was but it lasted about an hour and a half. They didn’t do anything at the hospital other than stick monitors on me and take blood samples and I eventually just calmed and they said my tests came back fine so I left the hospital with no idea what had happened.

I suffer from mental health problems but undiagnosed as of yet. Could this be related?

tweetypie

Antiquities Friend
Hi hun
Im not really sure what caused this. Usually people are completely unconsious and non responsive during a fit so it wouldnt fit typicaly what you mentioned but not always Maybe if you are on any medication there was a bad reaction between whatever you drank and the tablets ? whatever it is you should definately get checked out properly I hope you are feeling ok now XX

aoeu

Alcohol can induce seizures in individuals with epilepsy. Normally the person is unconscious, but I believe conscious seizures can occur.

Now, my "favourite" diagnosis comes into play: bipolar disorder.

Bipolar disorder and epilepsy often go hand-in-hand. Some speculate it's different symptoms from the same disease.

Since you already exhibit many bipolar symptoms, that you may have epilepsy is no surprise; that it expressed itself after drinking is also no surprise.

No alcohol for you. Get a referral to a neurologist and get an EEG. I have little doubt it will be abnormal. Then you'll start on anticonvulsants - which double as mood stabilizers, hooray!

feathers

You really like dxing me with bipolar don't ya aoeu? :D

I have an appointment with primary care on Wednesday. I shall take my mood charts and be sure to let you know how it goes :P.

I don't know if they tested me for epilepsy at the hospital. They took blood tests and they put those sticker/wire things on me. I don't know if you can test that way? But they said whatever tests I did do came back all clear. The bloog tests were probably checking for diabetes.

aoeu

An EEG has about 20 wires connected to your head, and it takes about 20-30 minutes, and at one point they flash lights at you. If it turns out clear, they'll have you have another while sleep deprived.

You probably got an ECG which monitors heart function.

And I like diagnosing you with bipolar because you have bipolar!

I'm glad you're keeping mood charts. Finally someone follows the advice I give >_<

Madam Mim

One in five people will have a seizure at some point in their lives, usually when they've comsumed excessive alcohol or drugs, but will not develop epilepsy or suffer any further seizures.

I had the same experience when I was around 14 (although I was at a house party and luckily a friend convinced everyone not to call an ambulance), and I've never had any other seizures or anything.

Mim

feathers

Yeah Mim, I've had them before and I had another (sober) last night :/.

Thanks for replying.

Why do you not think you can get into medical school aoeu?

And this whole thing started when I went on Citaopram. I'm not on it anymore but do you have any idea if Citalopram can trigger stuff like this off?

Last edited by a moderator:

aoeu

A single seizure with no chemical cause (alcohol is not a chemical cause, it merely lowers the seizure threshhold) is still epilepsy... A lot in my family have had 1-2, it's epilepsy because of the electrical cause.

However, the Citalopram changes things:
Wikipedia said:
Rare side effects include convulsions, hallucinations, and severe allergic reactions.
So this one could go either way. I'd see a neurologist and get EEGs, no point playing guessing games.

I don't have the grades (anymore), I'd bomb the interview, my resume isn't impressive enough. It's also probably too much work/stress, and as an intern working weird hours I'd trigger my bipolar, HARD.

feathers

I don't even know if it counts as a seizure if I'm honest, I had convulsions last night that was in my stomach and caused my upper body to move too but I don't know what it takes for something to be classed as a seizure especially if it's conscious and lasts longer than seizures really tend to.

I just don't wanna use the word seizure without being sure that's what it is y'know? The paramedics said it wasn't a seizure (although they also seemed to think I could sit up/walk by myself and just calm down if I wanted to :/)

And that's a shame, but it's okay, you can be my pdoc :P.

aoeu

I'm not exactly sure what to call it. Usually seizures involve blacking out (though not always), so Citalopram sounds more likely, but they're both possible and you need to find out for sure.

"Seizure" refers to a broad variety of symptoms:
Wikipedia said:
Seizures may cause involuntary changes in body movement or function, sensation, awareness, or behavior.
I don't know exactly how they're classified as seizures, exactly, since many events can have those happen (e.g. a migraine aura has strange sensations associated).

feathers

It can't be the citalopram unless it is just simply that taking it triggered whatever is wrong, because I came off it in December. But yes, I am definitely going to see a doctor.

Hopefully he won't threaten me with the police like the paramedics did!

Last edited by a moderator:

aoeu

It might induce longer term changes. I certainly hope not.

He's not going to... Paramedics get called when people are having seizures from illicit drugs (though they still shouldn't threaten with the cops :| ). Those people don't then go see their doctor about it.

feathers

I was joking :P The paramedics were being absolutely ridiculous, threatening that if I didn't get in the ambulance they'd have to involve the police. I couldn't even sit up nevermind walk!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00