something that's been annoying me lately

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by emily83, May 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

is the overuse of the word bipolar.

people saying oh, the weather is bipolar, or saying that someone is bipolar just because they are going through a bad patch at the time.

really makes the mental health stigma side of things worse, because it discredits people like me, who actually suffer from it.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I think that people are just still not educated enough about mental illness and they speak before they think how it will affect others hugs
  3. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

the sad thing about that statement, is that i'm not sure people will ever be educated enough.

it's ignorance. that's what it is- and it drives me crazy.
  4. Hatshepsut

Hatshepsut Guest

I agree that ignorance and superstition about mental health problems remains rampant in our society.

Note that the word "bipolar" can be used as a noun meaning "Bipolar Disorder Type I" or "Bipolar Disorder Type II" as the DSM_IV-TR defined these conditions diagnostically. But I'm not trained to use the DSM; it's a manual for psychiatrists who have M.D. degrees.

There is a generic English adjective "bipolar" which has nothing to do with human minds but simply means "having two poles." So, there are bipolar cells in the human retina that help us see. I've never heard of "bipolar weather", which you may have heard spoken in a snide tone of voice alluding to the word's DSM connotations. I'm old enough to remember when no one ever used the word at all, at least in everyday life.

In the 1970s the term "Bipolar Disorder" didn't exist for what was then called "Manic Depression." You might know this history already. So many people started using "Manic Depression" in a cruel, stigmatizing way that the doctors changed the name. Now the newer term has gotten just as cruel as the older one. So, doctors may end up changing the name again.

That's the conundrum with political correctness. "Retards" have become "persons who live with Intellectual Disability." "Cripples" have become "persons who use a wheelchair." But social attitudes change slowly, so these new terms will also make limited progress toward softening willful ignorance.

I hope you will recall that many influential persons may have had Bipolar Disorder, such at the artist Albrecht Dürer who lived in Germany around 1500.

You deserve the best. ,... :butterfly4:
    Last edited: May 16, 2014
  5. scaryforest

scaryforest Banned Member

bipolar weather, i hear people use that a lot
    often causes a rainbow
    i never hear people have a snide tone in voice about it, it's more like slang and for example people also say: that's gay.
    but people get offended

people in future will benefit from current pains if that even makes sense
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.