Starting to feel like a failure again

Discussion in 'Work and Financial Problems (New Forum)' started by Witty_Sarcasm, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I just started my job 4 days ago, but I feel like they already are considering letting me go. I overheard someone say that if production is not good enough, there will be massive cuts. I call hundreds of people per day, and I am professional and courteous, but most people do not want to be bothered. I only had one completed survey today. I cannot help that most people don't answer the phone or just hang up. I am not sure what they want from me. Some people there goof off and don't do their job productively, yet they let me go 2 hours early because I was not doing a good enough job. I feel like I can't do anything right and don't know what to do anymore.

Thauoy and Scott A. like this.
  2. moxman

moxman Well-Known Member

That sounds like a very challenging job. I am sure it has it's own "negative energy" because you are treated with such disrespect by so many people. It has to take a toll on you.

You sound very miserable. Maybe you need to find a new job, that you would be happier at.

Witty_Sarcasm likes this.
  3. Witty_Sarcasm

I think that would be best, though it is difficult to find a job around here. But surely someone will hire me, so I need to try not to get discouraged.

4. moxman

moxman Well-Known Member

We have "talked" on various posts and such a number of times. One thing that always struck me, is you sound miserable where you are living. What is keeping you there?

Be kind to yourself Wit.

5. Witty_Sarcasm

I don't have enough money to move, and I don't drive, so that leads me to be stuck. I want to be able to save up enough to move somewhere else, but I am worried that won't happen if I can't keep a job. That is why I have one I don't like much. I applied to places all over and only this place wanted to hire me. I should be thankful but I often feel stressed out and worn down.

moxman likes this.
  6. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

The longer you can stick it out, the better off you will be when you look for a new job because you will have a reference and some work history. It does sound really crap and I don't blame you for feeling down, but I would not leave without some other job to go to if I were you - stick it out as long as you can get out of it, get some money and, more importantly, get some work history behind you.

If there are people that are being more successful than you are at getting the surveys filled out, ask if you can listen in to what they are doing for 30 minutes to improve - maybe they just are saying things differently than you are and you need to try a different tract or tone to engage them. It's hard when you're starting out at a new job, so learn from some people with experience doing what it is they need you to do.

Stress and anxiety are totally 100% normal in a new job - everyone feels that way and it will be that way in any new job. Wanting to make a good impression and not really knowing how things work lead to that feeling. It is totally normal and would be the case in any job. If you are not performing well enough it is okay to ask for guidance on how to improve - shows you are serious about the job and want to do well. Please don't quit before you've got some use out of the position, even just as work history/something on your resume that won't lead to "why did you only manage such a short time?" questions.

7. Witty_Sarcasm

I will try to stick it out as long as I can. I won't quit the job, but I can only keep trying my best and hope that will be enough. It is hard to engage most people as they say right from the start they don't want to take a survey, or hang up when you start talking. I will just keep trying and hope I can get more surveys completed so they know I am trying hard.

DrownedFishOnFire likes this.
  8. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Just keep doing what you do :) I liked Freyas suggestion

9. Witty_Sarcasm

There is really no set formula to make someone respond. Sometimes they say right from the start they are not interested. Some days are better than others. I can have as little as one or as many as ten. So I need to try not to get discouraged when I don't do as well, as it is beyond my control in some ways, and more in the luck of the draw of who you get answering the phone.