Stay strong. Seasonal affective disorder is here.

We are close to the last quarter of the year. How many of you suffer from S.A.D? I do, but I will stay strong for you all and hope you will do the same for me. It makes me feel relief that someone else out there is hanging tough. Let's make it through the year strong!

As the days shorten & I see more hours of darkness out the windows, I'd much appreciate help. I'd be pleased to be of help to others as well.
I agree, thats why I come back to these forums all the time. We all need any help and support we could get. It sure is a struggle, but as long as we go to sleep and wake up the next day then we are winning. I've been thinking how I can break out of this S.A.D cycle too. Maybe I just need to create happy memories this time of the year, a good enough memory that hopefully by next year, will overshadow the negative feelings I have around this time. I will need to plan something on Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas

seabird

meandering home
SF Supporter
That's a good idea I like it very much. Reminded me that I have a goal of a certain event run for October. I could set more plans in place for winter. It's usually January & February that get to me the worst.

That's a good idea I like it very much. Reminded me that I have a goal of a certain event run for October. I could set more plans in place for winter. It's usually January & February that get to me the worst.
I feel a bit more uplifted thinking about it. Normally I do nothing. But planning to create your own memories is a first for me. Mindstorming ideas will be a good distraction. Winter bleeds into Jan and Feb.. but the good thing is you have new years in Jan and Feb is the shortest month πŸ˜„

seabird

meandering home
SF Supporter
The summer has definitely ended. Any helpful ideas & suggestions about withstanding being scared of the dark much appreciated.

I had a light (I think it was called a Daylight) for SAD. My psychiatrist wanted me to try it. It was very soothing but exacerbated my rosacea. I strongly recommend it if you can afford one. I ended up passing mine to an acquaintance with SAD and she absolutely loved it and said it was like lying on the beach every morning. It was about the size of large laptop screen (17") and was bright white light.

Anchorchain

OK, does anyone know will a florescent light with tubes advertised to shine with a light spectrum equivalent to daylight serve as a treatment for SAD? I'm told that lights specifically marketed for SAD are pricey but my local Ace Hardware carries florescent tubes that claim to mimic sunlight and they don't significantly differ in price compared to conventional florescent light tubes.
I think I'll buy a pair, put 'em into a shoplight and see what happens.........

seabird

meandering home
SF Supporter
Good question.
Found this:
https://www.makegreatlight.com/abou...-vs-natural-light-an-analysis-of-benefits/amp
"In order to count as full-spectrum, the CRI score for a bulb must be 95 or higher, and it has to have a color temperature of 6500k"
"Fluorescent lights are known to increase cancer risk as well as creating a negative effect on the skin. This includes both premature aging and wrinkling. This type of light can exacerbate pre-existing skin conditions, as well."

Last edited:

Anchorchain

Good question.
Found this:
https://www.makegreatlight.com/abou...-vs-natural-light-an-analysis-of-benefits/amp
"In order to count as full-spectrum, the CRI score for a bulb must be 95 or higher, and it has to have a color temperature of 6500k"
"Fluorescent lights are known to increase cancer risk as well as creating a negative effect on the skin. This includes both premature aging and wrinkling. This type of light can exacerbate pre-existing skin conditions, as well."
Very instructive information, seabird. Thank you!

seabird

meandering home
SF Supporter
A little over a week of September left. It seems this month always disappears so fast. I'm going to spend as much time outside while there's still bright, warm sunshine, as I can.

AvidFan

Retired Cat Staff
SF Supporter
I was just searching to see if this had already been mentioned, so thought I might as well mention it here. I used to be heavily affected by SAD, but it was more the seasons making my existing depression worse. Now I don't normally suffer from depression, I no longer mind the onset of Autumn and October, November and December, though I have mixed feelings about the whole Christmas palaver.

January and February though, I have always found to be the two most awful, miserable, inconsolable months. Especially January, I feel if I survive to the end of January I will make it through - then it's only 28 days (if not a leap year!) until March, and for some reason switching from Feb to March makes a big difference.

January feels flat, seeing all the remnants of Christmas, the lights still up but no longer illuminated, the Christmas item sell offs in the shops, the fact there's practically nothing to look forward to (unless you're lucky and can make something to do or afford a holiday for some winter sun!)

January gets to me at the best of times, right now with what's going on in my life I feel mentally broken. One day at a time, hey, just one day at a time. Only 28 days of January left.

Hoping everyone who finds January awful can find a way through (obviously if you're in Australia etc, this won't apply as it will be middle of summer!!!)

seabird

meandering home
SF Supporter
I can feel it trying to get to me. I'm in northern part of the US and January & February are dark, lonely & very cold.
I have to fight this. It I don't, I'll be so unhealthy & depressed by March that it will take months to feel alright again. I do not like this & want to take at oeast some damn control

AvidFan

Retired Cat Staff
SF Supporter
@AvidFan was it running that helped with seasonal affective disorder or did you sort of grow out of it?
It was a mix of starting running and dealing with a lot of the underlying/historical childhood issues around the same time in my early 30s, that seemed to stop it hitting at least in the pre-Christmas time. Nowadays I try to keep busy in January and get in those runs. Of course I still feel stressed and sad at any point of the year as is quite evident, but the gnawing childhood stuff is at least turned down. I did use one of the little lamps for a while but not sure if it did any good, now I try to get out at least once a day for half an hour before sundown to at least let some photons hit the back of my eyes!!

I find the holidays hard for stress, and as winter drags on into January and February I find it increasingly depressing because it just feels like it has been dark and cold forever, even though technically now the days are getting longer. Also my part of the world is very rainy so it can feel like the world isn't brightening when spring arrives.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00