• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

Stopped taking Mirtazapine and starting ECT

#1
I had been taking Mirtazapine 30mg daily for just over a year I think, not certain. Days, months and years sort of just blend together now. Anyway, it was mainly for my anxiety as it never helped with depression at all, and it worked for a while. It helped calm things down, really knocked me down after about 30 minutes of taking it so getting to sleep was very easy. Staying asleep was somewhat easier. I get night terrors a lot and have basically had them my whole life. Fast forward to about a month ago from first starting Mirtazapine it just seems the meds aren't doing anything anymore other than helping me get to sleep fast.

I stopped taking them exactly 7 days ago from today and have replaced them with 2 melatonin, dissolvable tablets that I take 30 minutes before I plan to go to sleep. Getting to sleep is about as easy and staying asleep seems to be improving. My anxiety was heightened for about 3 or 4 days after stopping but it seems to have calmed down a bit, at least for now. General mood has somewhat improved too. I'm also much less tired in the morning and I feel more refreshed which is nice. I probably should have done 15mg for a week before stopping entirely but I just didn't care. I got some brain zaps for the first few days but those went away.

It's probably for the best that I was able to stop taking these meds anyway. I am starting ECT (Electro convulsive therapy) in a few weeks. I'll be off work for a month and have a treatment 3 times a week for the full month.
I've tried many different meds and they either worsened my suicidal thoughts and depression, had severe side effects or just didn't do anything at all. My doctor was supportive of trying this and when he referred me to the hospital that does it, the doctor in charge of overseeing the program seems enthusiastic about it and has had a lot of positive results come out of it with the patients he has had go through it. Hopefully this works for me because if it doesn't I really don't know what I'm going to do...

I'll make a new thread dedicated to updates for this ECT treatment when I start as I'm sure there are some on here that will be interested, and I'd also like to catalog my experience for personal reference as well.
 
#2
I hope the ect helps. I think journaling will be beneficial for you in many ways. Mostly being able to capture how you feel. I definitely dont have much recall about it.
best of luck to you 🍀
 
#3
If it were me, I would try traditional Chinese medicine before trying ECT.

ECT can be a good treatment, but sometimes people feel worse off after it, or have side effects like memory loss. I think it's usually a gamble worth taking, but only after other safer alternatives have been exhausted.
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top