Stressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sa Palomera

I don't have the energy to go on about this for very long so i'll stick with the facts and what the consequences are for me.

I'm going back to university in 4.5weeks. This in itself brings on a lot of nervousness and slight anxiety as it's been about 4 years since I been in school/education.
But I really want to do this English Language and Culture course
(http://www.ru.nl/students/bachelors...verview_programmes/arts/english_language_and/)
so I'm sure it'll be alright, but

my schedule from september (when I start the course) on will be ridiculous:

Mondays: uni during the day, football (soccer) training in the evening
Tuesdays: uni during the day, work in the evening
Wednesdays: uni during the day, football (soccer) training in the evening
Thursdays: uni during the day, work in the evening
Fridays: uni during the day, work in the evening
Saturdays: work in the morning, revising/studying/etc in the afternoon/evening
Sundays: football (soccer) match in the morning/during the day, revising/studying/etc in the evening.

I will have NO evening free to myself, nor will I have proper time to visit my parents/family (they live 2hrs away from here) or hang out with friends, without compromising my schoolwork.

Why not stop the football, you might ask? Because it's one thing I love doing, and secondly, I need to stay in shape, I need to do some kind of sports and since I really love playing football I'm doing that. I might be able to go to just one practice a week, but that might cause me to land on the bench during matches :sad:

Then why not work one night less, you might ask? Well here's the thing. I HAVE to work at least 4 shifts a week (evening shifts are only 2-3hrs long), to be able to even afford going to university.

You see, I'll get about 800 euros each month off the government (this includes a student loan i had to take). 250 goes to rent, 115 to health insurance, 15 to other insurance (don't know what that one's called in english), 140 each month on tuition for university (it's a total of 1600 something euros a year). and then phone bill... leaves a little less than 250.
Well there's clothes, food, soccer, transport during weekends if I go places (thank god there's free public transport for students on weekdays) and things like when I need things repaired (for example I crashed the landlord's car last week, it'll cost a few hundred bucks to be fixed).

If I don't work extra I won't ever be able to visit my mother's grave during the weekends (it's 45 euros just to get there and back!! :dry: ), or to visit family (same ridiculous amount).

I'm really frustrated at all these costs and seriously doubting whether I'll be able to do this.

I'm so stressed :sad:

Last edited by a moderator:

ema

Antiquities Friend
It is stressful going back to school and money is one of the biggest causes. I quit work and am depending on my husband now. I don't like it at all.

I don't think you should give up football, as you need exercise. And work, obviously you need money.

Can you take a lighter load of classes?

I'm worried you will burn out fast if you don't find a way to have some time for yourself. It happens so often.

You deserve this and you can do it. You've got 100% support from me!

There has to be a solution out there....:unsure:

Domo

I'm sorry i am not in the position to help you right now.

I agree with Ema, in taking a lighter course load, if possible.

OV? Korting met ov in het weekend? Minder bellen? Plus je hoeft je niet zo'n zorgen te maken, je engels is al beter dan de meeste mensen, mja je zal natuurlijk wel wat moeten doen >.< En vooral uni blijkt toch vaak niet heel veel lesuren te hebben, omdat er eerder verwacht word dat je zelf thuis studeert. Het komt vast wel goed en anders roep je mij maar, dan ga ik wel dreigen naar mensen, chanteren enzo :hug:

Sa Palomera

Thanks all for the replies.

En thanks Vitre, ik maak me vast ook drukker dan nodig, het is vooral het kosten plaatje waar ik me druk om maak. Minder bellen gaat niet echt, want ik bel nu al erg weinig, maar ik wil gewoon wel veel met mn ouders blijven bellen en OV heeft wel korting in t weekend, maar dan nog kost t gewoon geld. En dat wordt nog een probleem, zie volgende post.

Sa Palomera

To top everything off I had an argument with the manager at work today. I was totally right and collegues are behind me but still..

I'm working full time till August 22nd, that's what I've made clear from about March on. As soon as it was definite that I am going back to school, I said I would stop working full time when my contract ends (my present contract ends august 24th).
The manager already told me he had arranged for me to get a new contract, for 2-12hrs a week and for indefinite time (I've always had contracts for one year and after three contracts they have to either give you one for indefinite time or no more contract , thus end of job)..

Then today my departmenthead told me that the manager was expecting me to keep working full time till September 5th to take over my departmenthead's job when he's on holidays (august 16 - sep 5th). So I went to see the manager to clear things up.

I was very polite first I asked him if it were true that he expected me to stay full time till then and when he said yes I politely told him that there must have been a mix up somehwere because I'd been very clear about this from March on, that I'd be back in school by the end of August. He said, "no you said you weren't going back till september 6th, cos you would be replacing the departmenthead" I NEVER said that! I was starting to get angry now, but I remained calm and just politely said "No, I never said that. I've made it quite clear from the beginning on that I would stop working full time when my contract would end and/or be changed. That's only the first week that the departmenthead is on holidays." The manager got angry then and started shouting that that was my problem not his and that it was bullshit all these things and that i should just work and hell with school and what not. He made me SO angry, but as I didn't want to fuck up, I bit my tongue and still stayed polite, telling him how there'd even been a note for ages now, in the planner with schedules and everything, which also said I'd no longer work fulltime from August 23rd onwards.
He kept shouting and in the end he even was like "well I'll have to see how I solve this then, but then I won't need you for those frew hours after summer anymore either"
That last bit he told my departmenthead (about me) too, when he was on his way home today.

So now, because HE is the one who didn't pay attention and didn't read the notes and hasn't gotten any replacement for me yet, he's blaming me, and threatening not to give me that contract he promised me.

I'm going to wait until monday, hope he's calmed down and then talk to him. Asking him if he really meant what he said about not giving me that 2-12hrs contract when my present contract ends. If he says yes, I'm screwed.
I need this job. I'm 22years old. They don't hire 22 year old people for saturday jobs in stores anymore, everyone's hiring 16year olds, cos I'm too expensive. And I NEED this fucking job, or else I can not go back to uni after all.

As if I wasn't stressed enough yet. :dry:

Sa Palomera

Ja ik weet t. Mn collega van de slagerij zat op kantoor toen ik dat gesprek had met de manager, en die collega is normaal helemaal up his arse, slijmen enzo. Maar die zei nu ook naderhand tegen mij dat t nergens op sloeg wat de manager had gezegd, zeker omdat ik alles heel netjes en beleefd bracht en ook netjes en beleefd bleef, zelfs toen hij mij de schuld ging geven terwijl HIJ niet goed heeft opgelet. Ik ben gewoon van begin af aan duidelijk geweest! Stomme zak.

Ik heb echt t gevoel dat ik van t één in t ander val. Eerst dat hele mogelijke zwangerschaps gebeuren, toen was daar eindelijk duidelijkheid over komt die angst voor school enzo, en geld. en dan dit! bah. echt als ik een tekenfilmfiguur was zag je nu stoom uit mn oren komen :mad:

Sa Palomera

Oh ja, nouja, dacht dat je dat wel al wist, maar ik was ff bang dat ik zwanger was na een incidentje. Maar ik heb afgelopen week een test gehaald en die was negatief dus dat is in ieder geval een zorg minder :smile:

I always feel like when i look at people speaking dutch that someone has just run their fingers across the keyboard like so ....

idi gwiohg apeed gee iog spui gha gog

i know this has nothing to do with the thread but thought i'd share that :tongue: :laugh:

:hug:'s to ya Est

KittyGirl

I love hearing people speak different languages~

but things like... Eyjafjallajökull volcano just confuse the hell out of me because I have NO CLUE how to pronounce it; and no idea how it would sound spoken. XD
it blows my miiind!!

anyways, I hope you're feeling a bit better Sa Palomera.
Stress is horrible and can really make a person physically and mentally sick if you don't/can't take a break once in awhile.
Make sure to take care of yourself and *try* not to worry too much about life and work shit.
I know it's hard... I'm not one to talk. I am a giant ball of stress always. ><

Sa Palomera

I should find out more about my contract in this upcoming week. They better start being clear now, because next week is my last week as fulltimer.

Meanwhile I just got an email from the university with some last important information (log in to student portal on the website etc etc)
So that's coming awfully close now too..

In regards to work this week is fulltime and then next week and after that, if my contract does come through I wanted to work 3 nights a week, or well I'll have to work that much to get by.
But my departmenthead came up to me today (when I was doing groceries) and asked if I knew more about the contract yet. When I said I didn't he told me he'd just schedule me to work every tuesday, thursday and friday night from august 23rd on and he was like "if the manager does't agree he'll tell us I guess" :laugh:
I love my departmenthead, he's the funniest guy ever.

I'm getting rather nervous for uni now.. it's coming so close already!

Sa Palomera

And thanks for the replies.

@KittyGirl: I am stressing less thankfully, I guess I kinda realised stressing won't help anyway, so I'm just doing my job at work and the stress about school has kinda turned into excitement I guess. Positive nervousness for sure!

We'll see how things go, i'll have to wait and see for the most part anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00