Suicide attempt

I had a suicide attempt <mod edit - method> but it turn's out everything is fine I did not see a doctor. I just feel like I am going through a midlife crisis and I am only 24. I want to do something to make my parents proud but i always mess up every time I try to do something good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter
I had a suicide attempt <mod edit - method> but it turn's out everything is fine I did not see a doctor. I just feel like I am going through a midlife crisis and I am only 24. I want to do something to make my parents proud but i always mess up every time I try to do something good.
Good morning @The Phoenix. I'm glad that you're ok....especially because you around are the same ages as my own daughters and sons. 26, 25, 21, 17. The funny thing is I want them to be proud of me so it can go both ways.

We are also in a pandemic so please give yourself a break and try not to feel pressured. If you feel yourself saying negative things to yourself, visualize anything to make it stop. I even use an actual Stop sign in my head, whatever works for you. The goal is to get better in your head so you can move forward and enjoy your life. Right? Thinking of you and please stay safe bcz you're cared about.

MisterBGone

SF Supporter
Always a good idea to go in to the ER and get checked out in these matters, anyway (as things can later appear to give you serious or significant repercussions later on in life; though I know that-that may be far from where your "head space" is at right now...)

Just take it from someone who's been there! I'm still very much dealing with & suffering through the consequences and the effects of my episodes / attempts, oh-so many moons ago! ;) All I can say is: Not Fun. . : )

24 is a prime time to have a "mid," or "quarter," life crisis. I think you'll find... that the more time you stay and talk to people on here. It is really not so different and rare - after all! Good luck & best wishes on a speedy recovery. You deserve it-

Mr. B! :D

KindaOtiose

I'm sorry you're feeling so bad at the moment, and that this happened to you. I would strongly recommend you go to a doctor and tell them what happened to you, even if you don't feel like you're hurt. This will not only ensure your physical well being, but the doctor may be able to provide you options to improve your mental well being.

You say you want to make your parents proud. Is there a reason you feel like your parents aren't proud of you?

Please don't do anything to hurt yourself again. If you feel like you are in danger, please call a suicide hotline or the emergency services, and, of course, you can always come here for advice or support.

Stay safe. I hope you can feel a bit better soon. Sending hugs *brohug.

Always a good idea to go in to the ER and get checked out in these matters, anyway (as things can later appear to give you serious or significant repercussions later on in life; though I know that-that may be far from where your "head space" is at right now...)

Just take it from someone who's been there! I'm still very much dealing with & suffering through the consequences and the effects of my episodes / attempts, oh-so many moons ago! ;) All I can say is: Not Fun. . : )

24 is a prime time to have a "mid," or "quarter," life crisis. I think you'll find... that the more time you stay and talk to people on here. It is really not so different and rare - after all! Good luck & best wishes on a speedy recovery. You deserve it-

Mr. B! :D
I did not go to the doctor because I was worried I would be put in a mental health institution and I did not want that.

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
I did not go to the doctor because I was worried I would be put in a mental health institution and I did not want that.
That would be preferable to being dead though... If you got the help you need to maybe not feel like this any longer right?

Last edited:
That would be preferable to being dead though... If you got the help you need to maybe not feel like this any longer right?
I understand your point but If I did go there I would be concerned about my safety because some of the patients there have violent tendancies and some of them cannot control their sexual urges so I am wotried that they are going to snap and hurt me. I trust the doctors and the nurses it is just everyone else I have to worry about.

Last edited by a moderator:

MisterBGone

SF Supporter
Most of the places that I am aware of her in The United States have short term stays at hospitals. So, you're typical stay if you are placed under a psychiatric hold is 72 hours. And the standard at which to be placed in a more permanent institution as you say is quite rather high. Their goal (the hospital's for most inpatient scenarios) is to get you stabilized, and no longer wishing to hurt yourself (or others). The actual getting & staying well, is something they can help get you set up with, provided that you do not already have long term care that you are happy with. This would include counseling (psychology/therapy) & medication management (psychiatry).
On the safety issue: take it from someone who's got probably close to a dozen trips to the cuckoos kingdom, or nest; most of these people, or other patients with whom you are concerned & discussed: are not there to take their anger or aggressions, what ever they may be - out on you. If they've got any on display it is typically directed, from my experience anyway, in two places or directions (inward, on themselves) or (outward, as in on the staff). Who are all trained in this sort of thing, so they can typically deal with most problems quite effectively, and have backups - security from facility, on standby 24/7.
So, I d say chances of you getting into a confrontation, unless you are somehow involved in starting or continuing one, are pretty small actually or indeed.

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
Generally they don't admit you against your will unless they think you are in imminent danger of another attempt.

I understand your point but If I did go there I would be concerned about my safety because some of the patients there have violent tendancies and some of them cannot control their sexual urges so I am wotried that they are going to snap and hurt me. I trust the doctors and the nurses it is just everyone else I have to worry about.
I was really scared about this when I was admitted. Patients with violent tendancies will be kept separate to avoid this and there are so many staff around that anything else would be extremely difficult. I was so frightened when I was first in there I didn't come out of my room for three days. But when I did come out I found that everyone else was just like me - scared, lonely and missing home.

I'm sorry you're feeling so bad. Have you spoken to anyone about how you're feeling? Parents, friends? You don't need to struggle alone, there is help out there. I'm glad you've found us.

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hi there, first of all I am glad you survived and I urge you to get yourself checked out. If you are adamant you don't want to then maybe just get a general check up but realistically I'd like to see you getting seen to, there can be complications after an attempt even if you feel your usual self.

Can I ask what is going on for you that made you want to take your life? The world is in mayhem at the moment so do not be so hard on yourself. Was there something your parents were not proud of?

If it is any consolation, I am proud of you for posting here and talking with us, it might seem very little but it is a step in the right direction.

Do you have any friends you can talk to irl? Would you consider getting therapy? It could help you tons.

Please, stay safe okay?

*hug Champ x

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00