• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

Supplements to help depression

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
#1
Does anyone take any supplements that help with their depression?

I try to eat a balanced diet and I take a good quality multi vitamin every day. But I'm wondering if there's something else that might help in addition to traditional antidepressants.
 

bobbob

SF Supporter
#5
Does anyone take any supplements that help with their depression?

I try to eat a balanced diet and I take a good quality multi vitamin every day. But I'm wondering if there's something else that might help in addition to traditional antidepressants.
Hi
Since inflammation and depression seem to be linked, anti-inflammatory diet can (research suggests) reduce depression.
So omega 3 is great, for which flax seed is a good souce. Some argue that ideally also need marine omega 3 (which has different chemical structure), the principal dietary source of which is oily fish like sardines. But it is also in alga supplement from Holland and Barret. There are loads of anti-inflammatory foods.
Off top of my head, I think other good ones include sweet potatoes; brocolli, brussel sprouts and rest of the cruciferous band; blueberries etc. I think dark choc is also good as long not much sugar (whcih ofc is inflammatory).
Main supp I take is tumeric and black pepper one from Holland and Barret. I think tumeric has been shown to reduce depression and need the pepper to render it biologically active. I do think that tumeric has really helped my mood but could just be coincidence.
Oh yes, vit D is good too, like folk have said.
best wishes
R
 

BlueGreen

Well-Known Member
#6
Have you had your blood tested to check your vitamin levels @Sunspots? I had a really bad vitamin D deficiency and since I thought my diet was OK it really surprised me. Also had to take B6 injections and folic acid. I felt like crap at the time and had a load of niggling health problems. I would get a check first so you know which ones to add if you need to. I swear by Spirulina and they did some tests on TV (Michael Mosely, he's really good) and found it does actually have benefits. I found it kept my weight down too. I think it's a good all rounder. I take magnesium which is supposed to be good for depression but also because if you take calcium it can affect your magnesium levels. I have to watch my sugar because it does actually affect my mood and I can really spiral if my diet is bad for a long time.
 

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
#7
Thanks all.

I've ordered some omega-3 and folate for now and will research the other suggestions.

I do have Hashimoto's thyroiditis which is known to cause inflammation so that's something worth looking into too.

Have you had your blood tested to check your vitamin levels
Not for a couple of years and they were all within range then but I'll ask them to check again when I next need to get my thyroid levels checked.
 
#8
If you've been diagnosed with a vitamin deficiency, then taking a vitamin supplement seems sensible.

Experimenting with supplements isn't a bad idea if someone's condition is mild, they don't have access to prescribed supplements, or their top priority is saving money.

For conditions that are serious, especially ones that are life-threatening, and professionally prescribed supplements are available, professional treatment is a better way to go. It's important to get the right supplements to ensure that you get the most benefit, but also to avoid supplements that could make things worse.

From the perspective of traditional Chinese medicine, there is no one supplement that is good for depression, because depression is a symptom of several possible underlying conditions, not a condition in itself.

I strongly recommend that you try getting a prescribed Chinese herbal tea. I don't know where in the UK you are, but certainly if you are near London, there should be plenty of professional herbalists there, as well as a number of acupuncture schools that teach herbal medicine and have a teaching clinic.

I can say more about finding a clinic if you are interested.

If you decide to take any supplement, it's probably a good idea for your doctor to know what you are taking.

I've been getting a prescribed Chinese herbal tea off-and-on for a while now.
 
#9
When I was depressed, a psychologist advised me to distract myself by taking up a hobby. And I listened to the doctor and downloaded a special program for writing music on my computer. It was quite problematic to get the hang of it, considering that my thoughts constantly went in the other direction from the goal. But my friends advised me to buy Paradigm Peptides. These drugs increase brain activity, namely memory and concentration, and improve the body's cognitive functions. And after I started taking them, I began to learn a new hobby very quickly. I gave it my all without any distractions, and over time, I was surprised to notice that the depression was gone.
 

Road to Nowhere

πŸ’«πŸ’«πŸ’«πŸ’«πŸ’«
SF Supporter
#10
I take a 5htp and Stress-Defy Gaba supplement from Irwin naturals and New Chapter whole food multivitamin daily. I have always been sensitive when taking medications and supplements so I will take one capsule of each as needed has lasted for months.
1656311760705.png 1656311804183.png
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top