• Apologies for the issue with a bizarre redirect on the site earlier today. There was a large server update and an error in an IP address had the traffic routing wrongly. No hacking or anything nefarious and nothing to worry about. Sorry for any stress/anxiety caused. Very best wishes - SF Admin

Supporting someone with mental health

Jayjay289

Jay Jay from the UK
Staff Alumni
ᴘᴇᴏᴘʟᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ ᴍᴇɴᴛᴀʟ ɪʟʟɴᴇꜱꜱ ᴀʀᴇ ɴᴏᴛ ᴀ ᴀᴡᴀʀᴇɴᴇꜱꜱ ᴅᴀʏ, ᴀ ꜰᴀᴅ ᴏʀ ꜱᴏᴍᴇ ꜱᴘᴇᴄɪᴀʟ ᴏᴄᴄᴀꜱɪᴏɴ.

ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴀʀᴇ ʜᴜᴍᴀɴ ʙᴇɪɴɢꜱ ᴡʜᴏ ᴅᴇꜱᴇʀᴠᴇ ʀᴇꜱᴘᴇᴄᴛ, ʟᴏᴠᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ꜱᴜᴘᴘᴏʀᴛ ꜰʀᴏᴍ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴏʀʀᴇᴄᴛ ᴘᴇᴏᴘʟᴇ.

Yet again this week I have seen a number of people who have posted about Mental Illness and have been invalidated and what is worse, by so called "Mental Health Advocates"

Words like "We all go through that" "We all have those days"

You are not helping, please reflect on your language and offer advice when you are asked, in my opinion the last thing a person requires who has a Mental Illness is a people pleaser or rescuer arriving with all the answers and speaking to them like a child.
Supporting a person who has a Mental Illness can be extremely hard, it can be rarely seen as decent people don't blow their own trumpet.

If you want to support a person who has a Mental Illness, please be prepared to give them your time and if you cannot give them your time, please leave them alone or get professional help where possible.

My love and thoughts to people who support or have a mental illness 💛

Butterfly

Sim Addict
Safety & Support
SF Author
SF Supporter
To be fair, sometimes we do all have those days. For example, I am a stable Schizoaffective and my nan died. I was so upset, I had thoughts of suicide. It was a normal reaction for me to feel so upset and because it was a normal reaction there was no need to feel suicidal over it.

There are some occasions where it is actually normal to feel pretty shitty over it. Though it shouldn't be invalidated.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$180.00
Goal
$255.00