Switch Phrase

BarryW

SF Supporter
I'd like your opinion/advice on something. I have what I'll call a "switch phrase" for lack of a better name. If there is a real name for this term, let me know.

Whenever I catch my mind going down a bad train track, and I want to jump tracks and think about something else, I use a few variations of a "switch phrase". This is a phrase I say out loud to get out of my head and interrupt my thought process. It works really well, and this situation happens several times every day for a long time now. I have used different phrases over the years.

The problem I have noticed is that sometimes when going on walks or at a store, my switch phrase response is so automatic that I will just say it before I realize it. I forget that there can be other people around (as opposed to when I am at home alone, which is 96% of the time). Because these phrases naturally occurred.. I didn't choose them really.. they often have undercurrents of anger or weirdness. I am worried that if overheard, the phrases I say could cause an awkward situation, scare someone, etc.

Trying to think of a solution, I thought that maybe I should intentionally choose a switch phrase. Do you have switch phrases that you use? Do you have a suggestion of what is something I could safely say out loud in public without causing any confusion or weirdness?

Do you have switch phrases that you use?
Sometimes if I get angry about a negative memory, I'll say "I don't need to be angry about this now", or "That's in the past now" to myself.

If you can get in the habit of silently saying your phrase to yourself even when you're alone, that will help keep you from saying it in public.

I am worried that if overheard, the phrases I say could cause an awkward situation, scare someone, etc.
Yes, it's probably going to seem strange to people if you say these things in public. I don't think it would cause a huge problem for them, it's just that they might not relate to you well. I don't think you'd have to feel guilty about this, so I hope you'll be forgiving to yourself, that's the most important thing imho.

If you get a wireless headset phone that is as conspicuous as possible, that might help cover for you. You wouldn't even necessarily need it to actually work, it would just be for show. It would seem a lot less weird if they thought you were on the phone, pretty much no matter what you said.

BarryW

SF Supporter
Thanks @may71 for your suggested phrases. I have thought about the headset idea before, although right now I don't own a good candidate.
It could take considerable time to be able to stop speaking out loud and still have the same effect. Strangely I have some phrases that work at night when I'm trying to sleep, without speaking out loud, but during the daytime I feel like I have to speak out loud to stop the thoughts. I wonder why that is.

during the daytime I feel like I have to speak out loud to stop the thoughts. I wonder why that is.
Idk, good question. Maybe it's just something that's become conditioned.

I wonder if you could adopt a behavior that means the same thing as the phrase, and that the behavior could take its place. Like maybe if you rubbed your ear lobe, that could mean the same thing, and then you wouldn't have to worry about people so much.

BarryW

SF Supporter
I like this idea of having a motion. It would have to be simple to avoid accidentally smacking someone nearby, or myself. I will stew on this one and see what motions seem natural for me.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$130.00
Goal
$255.00