Teacher on the verge of meltdown

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by OmegaSoul, Oct 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OmegaSoul

OmegaSoul Member

Hi,

I'm a chemistry teacher working in the UK and feel like I am on the verge of meltdown. I am a part-time member of staff being expected to run a department on my own, and additionally other members of staff even joke to me now that I'm running the entire science faculty with the amount of work I do.

I regularly work 70-80 hour weeks and when I get home all I want to do is sleep. Even eating takes a back seat and I only seem to get a chance during my commute to and from work.

Right now, I am struggling to keep going. My main social interaction is with the kids I work with and it's nigh on embarrassing to say but sometimes they are the people that keep me going.

Is there anyone out there with any advice or who could lend an ear just to chat and interact with on an adult level? I feel i need to break what could be a fatal loop sooner rather than later.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Perhaps hun talk with your doctor and get some time off work so you can get some much needed rest. Who ever it is that is full time there put some of the burden back on that person to carry some of the load ok. The kids well they are a very good reason to hold on they sometimes even can bring some sanity back where you don't think there is some

Don't do everything ok you are part time and make sure they know that if they want a full time teacher then they should be paying you more take care of YOU ok hugs

3. True-Lee

True-Lee Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forum, My name is Leigh. I have been coming in here for about 2 weeks, I am suffering from Depression
    I am not a teacher but I know what you are feeling..I also know what you know. You Are On The Verge, Listen to what your body and mind is telling you, certainly before it's to late. You should not be struggling. You should also not have the kids as your main social interaction, yes they are a force, but you are not there for them to keep you going.

You are aware that you are treading on hazardous ground, you have laid it out and Identified what "could" be the danger signs. You do need to lessen your work load, you need to eat better or you could get physically ill as well. I have been there, I ended up with a Ulcer and almost died it was that severe, I lost 4 pts. of blood. I don't know what actions you have to take but you had better take them sooner then later.

Well, you came and asked, I don't know what else I can say, I don't know if it was what you wanted to hear. If You want to talk more or anything, My ear and I am in here more than I care to admit. I do wish you luck and hope for the best.

4. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi there, don't fret now. You need to remain calm and take a deep breath. Please don't not worry now as we understand the strain your are under and the targets you need to achieve in your subject. Remember you carry a lot on your shoulders but turn it around and think it are a SURVIVOR. Try to be positive in that you have achieved a lot. I know it's hard to do but also remember you are not alone. Like I have said in the past, you walk past people who smile everyday but they might suffer as well inside. So do not worry but keep posting for support. PM me anytime if you need to talk in private.

5. spiritflute

spiritflute Member

Are these expectations placed on you by your school or are you taking on more than they assigned? As part time staff, you should not be putting in that many hours. Talk to your administration and see if the responsibilities can be more evenly distributed. Sounds like you are at risk for teacher burnout. You may also need to learn how to say no. Not always easy to do that. Time to "sharpen the saw" if you are familiar with Steven Covey and "7 Habits of Highly Effective People" with the Leader in Me concept.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.