Teeter vrs chiropractor

Daphna

Ninja of light
Hopefully this is the right spot for this? I’ve been dealing with pain and being uncomfortable for a while now. I had an exam today and everything is confirmed. I need to do something. Chiropractors are expensive and time consuming. In curiosity I looked up teeters. Not sure if you are familiar but basically it’s a thing you strap yourself into and you hang upside down to get similar benefits as a chiropractor. Anyone use either of them? Your input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading either way.

If the pain you're experiencing is back pain, acupuncture is one of the best treatments for that. Acupuncture can also be expensive, but teaching clinics and community-style clinics can offer affordable, and sometimes even free treatment.

I think that acupuncture is now covered by medicare for treating back pain.

I don't know anything about teeters, but I'm not sure it would be a good idea to buy and use a product like this unless you're certain it will at least not make things worse. Maybe if your doctor recommended it, it would be worth a try.

There might be some conventional treatments like physical therapy that could help, and might be covered by insurance.

I hope things can get better soon.

Daphna

Ninja of light
If the pain you're experiencing is back pain, acupuncture is one of the best treatments for that. Acupuncture can also be expensive, but teaching clinics and community-style clinics can offer affordable, and sometimes even free treatment.

I think that acupuncture is now covered by medicare for treating back pain.

I don't know anything about teeters, but I'm not sure it would be a good idea to buy and use a product like this unless you're certain it will at least not make things worse. Maybe if your doctor recommended it, it would be worth a try.

There might be some conventional treatments like physical therapy that could help, and might be covered by insurance.

I hope things can get better soon.
I thank you for replying. I have much to consider.

TIWIADIFI

•oOo•
SF Supporter
Hello Daphna

This is my personal experience with body inversion.

I’m 58. Much of my working life, from 14 on, has involved the moving of various loads by various methods. All these methods required my body.
Recreational pursuits, some of them epic failures, coupled with work have left me well worn and a bit rickety.

Two years ago I went to work on my spine.
As I saw it, I wanted to invert my body, suspended by hips or feet and decompress the spine. (I hang from my hips.) While inverted and decompressed, I wanted to flex the supporting muscle around the spine. By strengthening in this way, I reasoned that the discs should be held apart better and would relieve some of the grinding that load and gravity caused. It worked!

After two years of inversion and some other methods of decompression I am transformed. Decompression and strengthening is a daily discipline. It for me, is relief, but a cure that fails when I fail to do the work.

How to do it without spending money?
Get creative and find a way to invert your upper body. Very slightly at first and very briefly. (My relief did not come without some pain, so go easy.) Breathe. It may sound like oogly-boogly, but learn to breathe.

After you have found that you can stay in this position for a minute or so without to much pain, try flexing your torso while inverted.

Inversion tables typically hang you by your feet. This will decompress everything from the ankles up. This can be good, but hanging loose like this for too long can cause problems, especially when first starting out. I feel it’s important to engage as many muscle groups as possible when inverted. Engage, release. Treat it like an exercise repetition.

I would suggest a spotter for any first attempts at inversion. If like most of us, you don’t spend much time upside down, it takes some getting used to. Slow and steady wins the race!

Hope thats not TMI or too far off your question, but I hope you can find some relief regardless. ☮️

Daphna

Ninja of light
Hello Daphna

This is my personal experience with body inversion.

I’m 58. Much of my working life, from 14 on, has involved the moving of various loads by various methods. All these methods required my body.
Recreational pursuits, some of them epic failures, coupled with work have left me well worn and a bit rickety.

Two years ago I went to work on my spine.
As I saw it, I wanted to invert my body, suspended by hips or feet and decompress the spine. (I hang from my hips.) While inverted and decompressed, I wanted to flex the supporting muscle around the spine. By strengthening in this way, I reasoned that the discs should be held apart better and would relieve some of the grinding that load and gravity caused. It worked!

After two years of inversion and some other methods of decompression I am transformed. Decompression and strengthening is a daily discipline. It for me, is relief, but a cure that fails when I fail to do the work.

How to do it without spending money?
Get creative and find a way to invert your upper body. Very slightly at first and very briefly. (My relief did not come without some pain, so go easy.) Breathe. It may sound like oogly-boogly, but learn to breathe.

After you have found that you can stay in this position for a minute or so without to much pain, try flexing your torso while inverted.

Inversion tables typically hang you by your feet. This will decompress everything from the ankles up. This can be good, but hanging loose like this for too long can cause problems, especially when first starting out. I feel it’s important to engage as many muscle groups as possible when inverted. Engage, release. Treat it like an exercise repetition.

I would suggest a spotter for any first attempts at inversion. If like most of us, you don’t spend much time upside down, it takes some getting used to. Slow and steady wins the race!

Hope thats not TMI or too far off your question, but I hope you can find some relief regardless. ☮️
Thank you so much! Your info is invaluable.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00