The Art Of Thinking Positively

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by CGMAngel, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CGMAngel

CGMAngel Well-Known Member

Hi everyone;

Just an idea....

Whenever my students would come to me and start complaining about their lives, I would always encourage them to think more positively from the outset by asking them to first name one good thing that had happened to them that day.

With varying degrees of success (and hostility!), I started to notice some subtle changes in some of them. By trying to nurture a habit of more positive thinking within them, I could see several were starting to realize there was more than one way of processing/responding to many situations that befall us each and every day.

So many depression/anxiety self-help books I have read emphasize that it is not so much WHAT happens to us but HOW we inwardly/outwardly respond to those events that ultimately shapes our moods, mental well-being, and subsequent behaviours.

Easier said than done, believe me I know! But does anyone want to give it a try? Initially it might be less difficult to name one good thing that has happened to you this WEEK, rather than only today - and if you can think of MORE than one positive event, then that is even better.

For me one positive has definitely been finding this forum.

So now I am laying down this challenge to all of you....
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Getting out of the house for awhile today
  3. dvnj22

dvnj22 Well-Known Member

I bought the book, Walden by Henry David Thorough, I really like it because in a way I identify with him. It's been positive and a life changing book.
  4. lachrymose27

lachrymose27 Well-Known Member

It works but is quite hard. It would work to a (very) minimal effect for people who are home all day with nothing to do or isolated 98% of the time.

I feel that Just thinking positively won't work. It's better if you'd set aside a goal (positive one) no matter how miniscule and complete it. Unemployed? Browse job banks and apply to at least one position. Feeling lonely? Talk with your relatives and buddies via AIM or iphone. Don't want to do chores? Well then set aside a goal for mopping the floor or doing the dishes. Hate social media? Sign up for twitter/deviantart/facebook.

But i find from experience to be able to do all this you would (really) need to try and get rid of your negative mindset and wanting to feel happy rather than sad. I've tried thinking positively lots of time. But i do so laying on my bed or browsing the internet. In the end i still havent accomplish anything. So setting aside a positive goal and working towards it - you'd feel better.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.