the domonant thought

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by lifeless84, May 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lifeless84

lifeless84 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know, how can one get rid of the dominant thought from your mind?

To cut a long story short, years back, when I was in a high school, we had a meeting with a guy, who had been depressed, but took psychotherapy and felt fine since then (personally, don't really believe in therapies). At the end of the meeting, he asked every single person about their motto, dominant though of their life. I didn't know what to say, but remembered a move I had seen few days back and one sentence from it: “live fast, die young”. And that's what I said. I wanted to start doing crazy stuff in my early twenties, like skydiving, bungee jumping, etc. and live up to thirties. I wasn't interested in living more than 30 years. Now, I am 29, haven't done any of the things, not even once, and the magical number 30 is closing fast. I feel like I wasted my life, haven't accomplished anything of the things I wanted, and it is almost time to die. The other problem is, even though, I've almost reached the age, I haven't changed the attitude. The thought is rooted deep inside my head, I'm not interested in following years, as I am to old now to do things I wished. And if I don't get rid of the though, reach 30, and life won't kill me, I think I will do it...

Is there a way of saving myself? Without psychotherapy, as I have already said, I do not believe in its efficiency.
  2. katrina77

katrina77 Guest

I have gone through something similar recently. Reached the age of 54, and have some serious health issues. I realized that all of the things that I had dreamed about, planned about and wanted for myself when I was younger, just aren't going to happen.

Yes, it can make you feel like you have failed, and question whether it's worth living. But while I haven't done the things on my list, I have done other things that I hadn't thought of. And okay, if I can't do the things on my list, maybe my list was never all that realistic, or important, to begin with. Maybe it's time to make a new list.

I think if you asked/polled people, you would find that the vast majority of them, did not have lives that turned out as they expected. Some might have been better, some worse. But hey, that is life. It's the unexpected, the twists and turns, that make it what it is.

Is it worth killing yourself because you haven't gone bungee jumping? Hell no. And I doubt you have the expiration date of 30 stamped on your tush. Make new goals, based on who you are now, and what you want. Do you want to write? Do you want to travel, learn a craft, etc. Find something that you are actually capable of accomplishing and go for it. Yeah, you can give up, but then your life would be a waste. We pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and find a new path. Find a place to volunteer. What your cause is, do it with gusto. If you are helping others, easing their pain, maybe saving the lives of other people or animals, there is no way in Hell that your life is a waste.

Your life is what you make it. Make a good choice, and do it. And that means staying alive to do so.

Best of luck to you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.