The Events in Japan and Epicurean Paradox

Status
Not open for further replies.

jota1

Please check out my latest blog post. I know it's a shameless plug-in, but I want to avoid instigating any more drawn out debates between theists and secularists.
I think that debates between theists and secularists is especially meaningful given the Forum we are in. Let them prosper!

omnipotent, omniscient and omnibenevolent: There may be a "higher" meaning to life and death that we are incapable of understanding. You aks why would a omnibenevolent God let so many people die and suffer in Japan, I can ask you a more meaningful question...Why do people age, decay and die? Is one death more meaningful than the other because one person drowned in a Tsunami and the other had a heart attack at home? Is it biological population control, if so who? why? what? programed our genes. Why is evolution processed this way?

This is why we Christians fill the Gap with God, we believe that there is a presence that created the universe, the first atom, the first cell/life form. Creationism for me is not Adam and Eve its the origin of the universe.

bhawk

I think that debates between theists and secularists is especially meaningful given the Forum we are in. Let them prosper!

Creationism for me is not Adam and Eve its the origin of the universe.
firstly i somewhat agree...
On the second point, this contradicts the idea that the bible is the inerrant word of god.

Your post did remind me of something my mother asked me when i was a child, is an elephants life more important than an ants? should one life be held in higher regard than another?

Zurkhardo

omnipotent, omniscient and omnibenevolent: There may be a "higher" meaning to life and death that we are incapable of understanding. You aks why would a omnibenevolent God let so many people die and suffer in Japan, I can ask you a more meaningful question...Why do people age, decay and die? Is one death more meaningful than the other because one person drowned in a Tsunami and the other had a heart attack at home? Is it biological population control, if so who? why? what? programed our genes. Why is evolution processed this way?
These are questions I ask as well. I'm only speaking in the context of this event because it is in these instances that God is often invoked the most, and I am curious as to how Christians reconcile this with their beliefs. I hear a diversity of explanations, but none ever seem satisfactory or consistent to me.

In any case, I wonder why a God would allow for these things in the first place. Given all his power, why not create eternal life, or a "perfect" world? What purpose do all these things play?

This is why we Christians fill the Gap with God, we believe that there is a presence that created the universe, the first atom, the first cell/life form. Creationism for me is not Adam and Eve its the origin of the universe.
But that interpretation seems like a more deistic approach than the usual transcendental one that is traditional in Christianity. I find this is the position that a lot of Christians are increasingly taking.

Mortal Moon

If I stood in the middle of the road and got hit by a car would you ask "Why did God let this happen?"
Yes, that seems like a fair question to ask.

If I, a fallible human being who does not know you personally, saw that you were going to be hit by a car and had the power to stop it, I would do so without hesitation. So what's God's excuse?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$130.00
Goal
$255.00