The impact I made in this world: I don't know

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnDoen

Outsider in the Realm of Lost and Found
Very little, I know. I'm not among the smartest, the strongest, the quickest, etc. I think I'm just average to the point of insignificance, general speaking. I claimed to have done the best I could, but have I done something significant for others to slightly remember? Any impact that proves my existence and contribution to this world, this reality or this life? Any change for the better or worse to the lives of any other people, in the past, the present, or the future? Any meaning? Anything at all? Or simply nothing worth mentioning?

Everything would likely be the same without me. The Earth rotating around the Sun, and the Moon rotating around the Earth, and the clouds moving on the sky, and the stars, and other people with their daily lives, just that they couldn't remember anything about someone they used to know. It doesn't matter much about that, as their lives are more about the present, which is an ongoing pandemic and whatever they have to face everyday in the society they are members of.

I often forget what I have done. I think I waste my efforts a lot. Why does it even matter for a thread like this?

Holding my breath

SF Pro
SF Supporter
I think it is human nature to take most people around you for granted. It’s not a nice side of human nature but I think we all do it. It’s only when that person is gone that we realise. How many times have you seen the response to another person’s death, whether it be accident, illness or suicide. Their friends and relatives suddenly start mourning and remembering just how important that person was to them. By then it is of course too late and the grief is full of regrets and guilt. So I do think we are more appreciated than we realise or than we are treated. As you say everyone is wrapped up in their own little worlds and worries to notice those around them but that doesn’t mean that you don’t matter or that they don’t care. Perhaps we should start to make the effort to appreciate those around us more, show that we care. Rather than asking for someone to appreciate us, should we not show appreciation for others which in turn may then be returned?

johnDoen

I think it is human nature to take most people around you for granted. It’s not a nice side of human nature but I think we all do it. It’s only when that person is gone that we realise. How many times have you seen the response to another person’s death, whether it be accident, illness or suicide. Their friends and relatives suddenly start mourning and remembering just how important that person was to them. By then it is of course too late and the grief is full of regrets and guilt. So I do think we are more appreciated than we realise or than we are treated. As you say everyone is wrapped up in their own little worlds and worries to notice those around them but that doesn’t mean that you don’t matter or that they don’t care. Perhaps we should start to make the effort to appreciate those around us more, show that we care. Rather than asking for someone to appreciate us, should we not show appreciation for others which in turn may then be returned?
I'm more emotional in threads like these, as I think I'm not allowed to be too much emotional in real life, according to most societies traditionally view on a man or I'm just an introverted coward.

There is not much logic in this thread nor in this reply, except for some that I used to make sense in grammar and vocabulary. The thread is full of ego and self-centered manner but it's about a tremendous sadness I have no one else to share, to vent, nor to listen to.

I know it's hopeless to ask for appreciation, but I think this thread was meant to say I did nothing or I am useless, and/or inferior in some way. Well, there were multiple meanings somehow.

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
I don't think very many of us can impact THE WORLD. After all, there are very few Einstein's, Edison's or Ben Franklin's. But we can impact individual lives. Often by only giving them a smile or opening a door for them. And, the thing is, we will never really know how much we have touched other people's lives. But we have. Watch the old movie "Its a Wonderful Life" when you have a chance.

johnDoen

I don't think very many of us can impact THE WORLD. After all, there are very few Einstein's, Edison's or Ben Franklin's. But we can impact individual lives. Often by only giving them a smile or opening a door for them. And, the thing is, we will never really know how much we have touched other people's lives. But we have. Watch the old movie "Its a Wonderful Life" when you have a chance.
I watched it like a few years ago. It's a good movie. I'm not sure how to watch it again, especially with a subtitle.
Well, the main character does a lot of significant things, like saving people's lives literally and financially. He sacrificed a lot of his dreams for others as he believes that is the right thing to do at that moment.
Yeah, he deserves an angel to save him from suicide and everyone's love and help in the ending.

I forget what I have done to others. It's the whole point of this thread. It's a rant, written in a moment of sadness, stresses, hopelessness and loneliness, so there is not much logic.

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
I know people have made my day by simply smiling at me, opening a door, giving me a ride some place, helping me at my home. I have been deeply appreciative of small things. There is an old saying "little things mean a lot". And it is true. I am sure you have touched more lives then you realize. And made a positive impact on them. Hope you will be able to recognize that yourself.

Thank you JohnDoan. I'm reading your posts and there's someone who feels like me and I don't feel so alone.
I look back at the past year.. and two.. and 10 and if I had not been here the world would have been just as fine, if not better.
Please keep posting. I need to know there are more people who think and feel like I do. I don't want to feel so alone

johnDoen

I'm now definitely sure that I made these threads for attention, as in "go on and praise me more" kind of purpose.

I know people have made my day by simply smiling at me, opening a door, giving me a ride some place, helping me at my home. I have been deeply appreciative of small things. There is an old saying "little things mean a lot". And it is true. I am sure you have touched more lives then you realize. And made a positive impact on them. Hope you will be able to recognize that yourself.
I leave doors open for people a lot.

The effects of your actions ripple out. People don’t need to remember you for your life and your contribution to the world (however minor it may seem in the meantime) to matter. And the cumulative effect of a lifetime of small acts is greater than you might believe.
I know, but I just can't feel it.

Thank you JohnDoan. I'm reading your posts and there's someone who feels like me and I don't feel so alone.
I look back at the past year.. and two.. and 10 and if I had not been here the world would have been just as fine, if not better.
Please keep posting. I need to know there are more people who think and feel like I do. I don't want to feel so alone
You may want to read others' threads as well. Thank you.

Daphna

Ninja of light
Very little, I know. I'm not among the smartest, the strongest, the quickest, etc. I think I'm just average to the point of insignificance, general speaking. I claimed to have done the best I could, but have I done something significant for others to slightly remember? Any impact that proves my existence and contribution to this world, this reality or this life? Any change for the better or worse to the lives of any other people, in the past, the present, or the future? Any meaning? Anything at all? Or simply nothing worth mentioning?

Everything would likely be the same without me. The Earth rotating around the Sun, and the Moon rotating around the Earth, and the clouds moving on the sky, and the stars, and other people with their daily lives, just that they couldn't remember anything about someone they used to know. It doesn't matter much about that, as their lives are more about the present, which is an ongoing pandemic and whatever they have to face everyday in the society they are members of.

I often forget what I have done. I think I waste my efforts a lot. Why does it even matter for a thread like this?
I don’t believe anyone said you have to be XYZ to have an impact in this life. You impact the world by what you contribute into it. You are here and you are impacting the people on this site. So you’re contributing something and world wide considering there are people from different countries that visit here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00