The lighter side of depression

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by PaperFlame, Mar 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaperFlame

PaperFlame Active Member

Depression is a funny old thing, it can hit anyone at any sage of life, sometimes for no apparent reason. And we all react to it differently. Sometimes it's hard to get out of bed, sometimes you may not be aware that you are depressed.

In any case, what Im trying to get at here is the positive effects of depression. Yeah, in my view there are those too. I'll take myself as an example:

pre-depression: Hard working, ambitious, non-self centered. My job was all, and I poured myself into my profession in the hopes that it would lead to a greater pay-off down the road. It can sound like it was good, but in all honesty I was miserable or in denial.

depression: Started skipping work, became more egoistic and self-centered, less ambitious. In general I have become more laid back, not so uptight about things, tend to see the bigger picture. Since my depression I started taking work outs seriously, which helped my mental anguish considerably.

In essence I hate myself how I was before my depression. Even though mentally Im still a ways of from being "normal", at the same time I am not as self-critical as I was before. Which on the whole I think is positive.

Anyone else have positive experience of depression?
  2. skinnylove911

skinnylove911 Well-Known Member

My depression has made me grow up more quickly it also made me evaluate my life more often and realise i couldn't go on feeling thi crap anymore and i needed help. I needed to stand up for myself.
  3. pancake111

pancake111 Well-Known Member

I agree! I feel like my depression has made me see life in a whole new way. Even though I went through hell with depression, it has given me a mind set that I'm truly grateful for. I really don't know who I was before my depression. I was like I was a completely different person, which is true. I'm not the same person, and it's for the better!
  4. BrinkOfExistence

BrinkOfExistence Well-Known Member

Yes, depression has helped me let go of materialistic things, even money holds no value anymore, I only use it because I'm dependent on it, without it I literally couldn't survive. Prejudice is practically non-existent anymore, I mean okay I may sometimes prejudge someone in my thoughts but I'll never treat them differently or talk about my prejudice towards that person to someone else. My sex drive is also practically non-existent and trust me for a man who can't get laid that is a good thing :lol:. Although I wouldn't say depression has helped me directly I would say it was when I literally lost everything that did. I lost my family, my friends, my job, my home and all my possessions, all of which though was a result of depression. I'm also more selfless, forgiving, patient and laid back, I'm definitely a better person now than before I was depressed, except now I'm depressed and suicidal which sucks, immensely.

After reading this post several times, I'm starting to wonder if depression has changed me for the better or have I just stopped caring about everything.
  5. exilant

exilant Member

Well, I never was diagnosed with full-blown depression but only depressive episodes. I am right now in one of those - yet again - and it seems to be one of the worst episodes I ever had. However, I think that the bad times taught me that I can go through them (if I want to is another question). One learns to survive (literally) and to endure hits other people would have used as excuse to give up...We might not see ourselves as it, but I guess we are way stronger than we think we are.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.