The mole hills feel like mountains, and so do the nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've suffered from severe depression since as long as I can remember really. It was a natural part of growing, thinking I wasn't good enough, that I would never be. "A 'B' is never the best you can do" was my dad's phrase of choice and I had a feeling I could never be as good as my siblings, so I didn't fight it.

It wasn't until my parents got divorced when I was seventeen that I began to question things. I felt like my life ended, like I didn't have a family anymore. It turns out that their divorce was probably the best thing that's ever happened to me. I stopped viewing my dad as this perfect image of success and affluence and admitted to myself the person he really was, an abusive, narcissistic drunk and adulterer who may not even be capable of love.

There are things I wish he'd never told me. My mother used to say I was 'god's gift' because I was conceived with out fertility medication, and when I told my dad that he quickly told me that I was the product of strawberry daiquiris and labor day.

There are things in my life that I'm just never going to be able to forget, or 'get over', a bit of sexual abuse, a lot of bullying, and years of backwards and self-deprecating thinking, but it is because of all of those things that I reached enough bottom to try and get help.

The hardest thing now is finding the right person to talk to. I live in a relatively small town and my father was and is a prominent member of the medical community, which makes it increasingly hard to find someone I can trust who doesn't know who I am or where I come from.

To add to my already low spirits, I started having nightmares a few weeks ago. Every night I wake up in a panic, crying and shivering in fear. Each night ends in a different horror, like a movie I can't turn off. I haven't suffered from nightmares since I was in middle school. Then, I slept in a helmet and running shoes with a knife tucking in my bunk bed, and eventually the dreams went away. I don't know how to stop them now.

I'm not sure what I'm hoping to hear, maybe that I'm not alone.

Mostly I'm just sad and scared and sad a few more times. Sound familiar?

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
sounds very familiar hun are you on meds that could be triggering the nightmares some meds do that. Just know you are not alone now okay you are here where there are people who care and who definetly understand. My pm box is always open hugs

i can relate to the nightmares
last summer i had so many i ended up in the hospital where they diagnosed me with ptsd as a result of sexual abuse
i know how hard it is to find a good therapist, but keep looking
you are worth it.

i took propranalol for the nightmares and it worked. if they continue to interfere with your day to day life look into it, it might be a good option

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00