The Origin of CLinical Depression

What is the origin or basis of Depression?

• Chemical/Biological

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Enviornmental (society, climate, color, etc)

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Genetic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Emotional (i.e. it's all in your head)

• All of the Above

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Some of the Above (please explain)

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Other (please explain)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zurkhardo

A reboot of the previous thread, which had a few technical issues (thank you Xan and Justme).

I am asking specifically of the origin of Clinical Depression, i.e. the formal medical condition. I understand even that type is subject to interpretation and subjectivity, but it is the best I can do right now, given the contentiousness and malleability of this issue. Basically I'm talking about the long-term, severe sort of depression, as opposed to a few days of melancholy or low mood, which are normal (unless frequent, at which point it is consisted Clinical Depression).

just.me

Account Closed
Dude stop spamming!
Depression is a general word for many issues
from social to love to financial or sexual, whatever, they all can trigger depression

Zurkhardo

Re-posting a thread isn't spamming, it's rectifying past mistakes. If I could have edited or deleted the last attempt I would have (if I can, then someone show me how).

If that's your response, then there you go, that's what I'm looking: input, which I appreciate.

attack_amazon

If you go with the diasthesis-stress model, then you are born with certain genetic predispositions and the environment you lived in early on in life equips you with a certain way of viewing the world and yourself. Then, you encounter some kind of stress, and depending on how that stress interacts with your genetic and envornmental factors, sometimes you crop up with depression or any number of things. Some people have a lower threshold than others, some people have extremely high thresholds, neither of which has any bearing on how "strong" a person you are. It's like having a family history of heart disease, never being taught how to eat healthy, and then going through a really high period of job or family stress that causes you to have a heart attack.

fromthatshow

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I didn't see a spiritual option. I think that ultimately our separation from God will always cause some level of depression.

Remedy

Chat & Forum Buddy
Voted: all of the above. I think in my case it's mostly environmental but both my mother and uncle have suffered from severe depression so genetics probably play a part.

xan

Chat Buddy
I don't think environmental can actually be one... even though it's the one most people picked... The difference between depression and clinical depression is that the clinical kind is not affected by environmental changes...

Mikeintx

If you go with the diasthesis-stress model, then you are born with certain genetic predispositions and the environment you lived in early on in life equips you with a certain way of viewing the world and yourself. Then, you encounter some kind of stress, and depending on how that stress interacts with your genetic and envornmental factors, sometimes you crop up with depression or any number of things. Some people have a lower threshold than others, some people have extremely high thresholds, neither of which has any bearing on how "strong" a person you are. It's like having a family history of heart disease, never being taught how to eat healthy, and then going through a really high period of job or family stress that causes you to have a heart attack.
I like this example... sums up my feelings pretty accurately.

Entoloma43

I didn't see a spiritual option. I think that ultimately our separation from God will always cause some level of depression.
Hey - take a look around the world. If God exists, he's one evil bastard. War, poverty, disease, bacteria, natural disasters, rape, torture, starvation, etc...

Let me ask you this:

If YOU were God, would you sit back and watch billions suffer horrendously when you could alleviate everything by less effort it than takes to blink?

iKarma

Hey - take a look around the world. If God exists, he's one evil bastard. War, poverty, disease, bacteria, natural disasters, rape, torture, starvation, etc...

Let me ask you this:

If YOU were God, would you sit back and watch billions suffer horrendously when you could alleviate everything by less effort it than takes to blink?
Then you take away free-will. Something that God wanted humans to have. I am atheist so please don't think I am a bible thumper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00