the truth about body image

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by morning rush, Apr 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

2. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Sooo, what's the truth about body image? That everyone is more physically attractive when they're slender? Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.
  3. morning rush

if you've checked the photos and read what she said about each and everyone of them, you wouldn't be asking.
  4. morning rush

the title on this thread was the same title on the article...I think it should be about the realization of her own self ( not about body image in general) and then again I think that it is in general...

I mean I see examples everyday of people judging overweight people. I was at a tim hortons and the guys behind me were talking about girls, then they said, "She's really cute and so nice, too bad she's fat" (they we're talking of a girl they knew)

another time, I was crossing the street and this mother was telling her child: "stop eating or you'll end up..." she waited till I passed by and then she said in a low voice "fat like her"

I read this article about how model scouts went to eating disorder clinics to recruit anorexic girls, offering them a job and everything!

It is hard to live in a world that do not accept fat people, that they consider fat people as lazy, unhealthy, stuffing their faces and not doing anything. I find it also hard to dress, because there are like one or two places that have my size...

seeing that article made me realize I am not happy fat...I am trying hard, eating healthy, doing exercises...but I'm not losing a lot of weight and so I get disappointed....
  5. Prinnctopher's Belt

Sorry you feel that way, but it has a lot to do with attitude. There are lots of overweight "fat" women out here who are desired and loved by men, they get married, they keep a stellar career, and they dress themselves and carry themselves like queens. They don't seem to be negatively affected, not socially or romantically at least, by their size at all. What this article shows is a woman with a pathetic mindset about herself, and that negative mindset of herself is reflected in her behavior, being obsessed with being fat. Covering herself and being uncomfortable is an extension of how she feels about what it is to be her size; and surprise, there are large women who walk around in bathing suits with confidence, and look great. This is an individual case that isn't representative of how every overweight woman sees herself.

And that's why I said this poor woman's so called truth seems to be that only slender people are attractive. False thinking. Being fit and healthy is good, and getting into shape, if it makes one happy then by all means do it. But if you're doing it to fit some social mold because you think no one likes you because you're fat, then you and Jen Davis have a surprise at the end of that line because you're always going to be uncomfortable with some thing about yourself that will continue to hurt your confidence and self esteem at the end of the day, big or small.

And I don't comment on topics unless I've read the contents in the original post. Don't tell me why to ask a mostly rhetorical question as my response to this self-loathing stereotype of heavy women and passing it off as absolute truth. It's only *her* truth and women and men who think like her.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2013
  6. morning rush

I agree with what you're saying.

The thing is that I don't like being fat, but I don't want to be extremely skinny either. I want to be healthy, which I am and not at the same time. Like for diabetes, cholesterol etc I am fine. I have none of those. BUT, what hit home is that a year ago, I was really fat, and I mean I wasn't able to put the seat belt on anymore, and I had to tell my family to sit down elsewhere because I couldn't fit in the seat. Those were humiliating things that made me realize that I needed to lose weight.

It affected me because I can sort of relate. I do tend to hide myself...and you're right, I know fat women who are happy and married.

I get emotional so often, that things like that can bring me down. Which is what happened...but as I was talking to my mom..she was pointing out that I lost a dress size, my legs are stronger from doing cycling. I am eating healthier and always looking for something healthy to eat, trying new stuff. That I watch what I eat, that I go out and socialize even though I have social phobias now that I think about it, I'm not that unhappy about my weight, it's just I want to be able to wear nice things and be able to walk without having back pains etc...

thanks for posting on made me think a lot...
  7. Prinnctopher's Belt

I'm really glad you're feeling better about yourself. Do it for the right reasons and not the wrong ones, you'll see results physically and mentally and they'll last longer than while you're at that smaller size. :)
  8. flowers

flowers Senior Member

Morning Rush, I understand. I could not see the pictures. For some reason i only could see the first one. But it did not let me see more. No matter what i did. But the pain of how society judges, and as you know from my story, how my family judged, can ruin someones health and esteem. Yes we can overcome and become strong because of it. But this is so difficult to do in the face of societys love of thinness. Its funny that they talk about thin being healthy. Well no one complained when I starved all those times while ruining my health. They actually commented on how good I look. Even the doctor was pleased when I lost weight even though at that point I was not very heavy because it was after my years of starving. If we could become a society that promoted health as real beauty and not thinness, then people would not be dying to be thin. and people like me would not have had their health ruined by self inflicted starvation.

I wish I could look into the eyes of every overweight person and tell them the truth. They are beautiful. Each soul is beautiful. Sadly when I do that. I am just one voice and I am not believed. Still, I AM heard.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.