The Truth about Depression BBC

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by lifeless84, Sep 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lifeless84

lifeless84 Well-Known Member

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

thanks for posting it i had not seen this one veryinteresting
  3. Lost and tired

Lost and tired Well-Known Member

Did you ever watch Stephen Fry's doc on bi polar. He is an amazing bloke, comedian, writer, actor and intellectual and genius. Severely bipolar, which was a massive surprise to people in the uk where he is thought of as a national treasure. He made an incredible documentary and that's when the penny dropped for me.
  4. JustKindaThere

JustKindaThere Well-Known Member

Just watched it. Denise Welch's description of it was absolutely spot on...
    -_- My house could fall down right now and I wouldn't care.
  5. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

i've not seen that documentry, no.

i've seen Q I, and i've listened to him narate harry potter stories though- to be honest he's really not that great in my book...

but if you think he's awsome, fair enough

oh and, i'll check out that documentry... the original poster mentioned
  6. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

I think its a very informative piece - particularly impressed with seeing someone who's had the illness for 40+ years and is still alive.

The stigma surrounding it is awful - because the depressed are not "socially 'normal' " - they've been "categorised" as odd/lunatics/mad/crazy/weird and everything else that's not actually helpful. And yet - those who are depressed or have varying conditions - could be as talented as the likes of Stephen Fry, Marlon Brando, Jim Carrey, Heath Ledger and Winston Churchill to name but 5.

(source - slideshow here - )

This begs the question - would we stifle their talents by rehab/therapy? Some, maybe not - but put this with Fry's documented attempt from 2012 - shows that even those who are in the public eye can fall foul of depression based actions (he has bipolar).

Also - I've noticed that while being on this site - that those who are more depressed (on average) - seem to have an increased knowledge base. It's also considerable that those who are, have a less tainted view of the world through the smokescreen of "social normality".

I must say I did learn a bit from this documentary though.

PS. emily83 - Do a bit of research, he is also president of the mental health charity, Mind... So while we may hear of it and occasionally use the resources on offer - he's the one at the top of that organisation.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2013
  7. PaperFlame

PaperFlame Active Member

Thanks for forwarding the vid. I watched it and thought it was a decent documentary on depression, although it had some weakness. Somehow I am thinking that if a journalist/videographer who actually suffers from depression were to make a documentary like this it would be more believable. As it stands, they tried to fit too much into the 45 min time slot that they had and rushed some parts. It would really help to have a documentary that would highlight what depression really is, what treatments are available, what are the outcomes etc etc. They touched on the subject but it felt too much of sensationalism. Give me a video I can share with my loved ones so they can understand.

Does anyone have any other vids or documentaries about depression? It feels like there are so many that suffer the illness, yet it isn't talked about at all, which is disturbing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.