The truth is not...out there

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by CGMAngel, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CGMAngel

CGMAngel Well-Known Member

Hi everyone;

It took me many years to realize that I had been wasting so much time, hope and energy seeking the answers to my mental plight somewhere "out there."

If I just do well in school.... If I could just get a girlfriend.... If I could just get a good job and make enough money to be content..... If I could just get people to love and respect me.... If I could just make some friends who could look beyond their own self-centeredness to see I was drowning. Perhaps then I could be saved.....

It finally dawned on me a long time ago that it isn't the world that is broken (well maybe it is, but that is another discussion!), but me. I need to be looking INSIDE to fix the problems.

So yes, the genius (!) I am, I finally figured this out. But it didn't make any difference! How can you fix something when you don't have the right tools and skills? Where do you turn when even the so-called experts have no idea?

I have read every self-help book on the planet. I know WHAT I am supposed to do to overcome my depression and anxiety, I just haven't a clue HOW I am supposed to do it.

I hope this all makes sense to somebody!
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

You sometimes need help professional help as in DBT or CBT treatment or sometimes you have to keep trying until you get the right medicaiton to help as well hun You keep trying ok hugs
  3. Lunartic

Lunartic Member & Antiquities Friend

Hi there. It makes perfect sense to me, I`m in the same place! This year I resolved to access some "talking therapy" and have now got some sessions with a psychologist who uses C.B.T. and Mindfulness techniques. Rather bewildering to begin with,but am persevering as years of depression/anxiety can`t be resolved overnight. Doing it yourself is ok if you have the "tools". I`m trying to build a relevant box of tools to help me heal my life, for I`m the only one that can do that. I went to A.A. for my alcohol problems, it took me a long time to put the bottle down, but am almost 5 years sober now, so self help needs assistance(tools) but can be achieved if you put in the work - there are no "magic bullets". I wish you the very best on your journey. Don`t give up!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.