The voices

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Beka, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beka

Beka Well-Known Member

Let me start off by explaining to you about my voices. I do not hear them as if they are outside my head. They are quite clearly inside my head. They are not other voices, they are variations of my own. Such as one which is my voice full of hatred with hissing in it, drawn out whispering. I don't believe that I am making them up, if I was I would be able to stop them right? If I made them up they wouldn't be telling me things like 'ooh that person is looking at you, hmm I wonder why' 'you shouldn't trust anyone, you can't trust any of these humans they will hurt you'. Seriously, I know it's all in my head, logic tells me this. But I did not make them up. I didn't. I couldn't have. Could I?

2. mpang123

mpang123 Well-Known Member

Beka, as an expert of auditory hallucinations which I've been suffering from since 15, these voices, even though they're coming from inside your head, you need to see a psychiatrist to treat you with antipsychotics. I hope you will be able to find a good psychiatrist who will work with you and prescribe you with the proper medication. In the beginning, there might be trial and error as to what meds work and what don't. Please be patient, but eventually I hope you will find the right one for you. I see you're from the UK so I don't know the procedure for you to find a psychiatrist, but maybe somebody else in this forum will help you further. Best wishes...

3. Beka

Beka Well-Known Member

I've just started seeing a psychiatrist on a monthly basis (only free time he has) I feel like they aren't hallucinations though? Because I know I have ultimately created them...I told one therapist once my concerns, and she brushed it off and the subject was never brought up again. Which made me think it was unimportant.

4. mpang123

mpang123 Well-Known Member

I would be insistent and let the pdoc know how much the voices are bothering you. I don't think you created the voices otherwise you would have complete control and knowledge about them. It's a chemical imbalance in your brain and you might need meds to regain balance again.

5. demuredawn

demuredawn Well-Known Member

hi beka...

it sounds like a psychosis rather than a hallucination. hallucinations involve things that you have no trouble differentiating from reality, psychosis is sometimes confusing on this. i myself suffer psychosis from time to time as part of my depression, so i completely understand ... it is confusing and frustrating and very upsetting all at the same time. i do agree you need help to deal with it.

6. Beka

Beka Well-Known Member

It's not there all of the time, I have periods where I have it, it's hard to describe also but whenever I'm like this I have a tendency to harm myself in one way or more, but it feels like I have no control over it. Like it's someone else doing it and I'm the one who has to live with it. But like I said, it's not all the time.

7. demuredawn

my psychosis is not all the time either, and yes when i have it it makes me more suicidal... often dangerously so, to me thats more of a proof that it is a psychosis. getting help doesn't have to mean meds, though they do often try you out on them, but sometimes even psychosis can be treated by teaching you different coping strategies and relaxation techniques or altering your diet, etc.... most times tho, you need meds before you can calm to the point that you are able to really kind of relax enough to even start to learn these things..... please, dont be ashamed to tell your doc about this, and make him/her listen to you and get across how much it does affect you.... if he/she will not listen, find one that will... you owe this to you

8. Beka

Beka Well-Known Member

I'm not ashamed to tell him this, but as soon as I go to mention it it's like I get short term memory loss I completely forget what I was about to say. Or its like I can't speak. I also get images bursting through my head about my SI. It makes it hard to think and they are always particularly disturbing.

9. demuredawn

i find it best to write down things you think are important to tell the doc, and bring the list in with you... if you can't find the courage to speak it, hand him the paper

10. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

It does sound like psychosis to me too. My psych recently told me I was psychotic because I couldn't differentiate between racing thoughts and actually hearing voices but she helped me understand what was happening a bit better and told me I was hearing voices. Sounds like you need to mention this to your doc and perhaps get on an anti psychotic to help.

11. Beka

Beka Well-Known Member

The racing thoughts is a problem with me, I can't ever grab a hold onto my thoughts. Which is also why it's so damn difficult for me to talk about any of this because I'll start saying one thing and I'll forget what the rest of it was as something else is now in my mind. I have super bad memory at times too, is that related to psychosis?

12. demuredawn

racing thoughts is most often from bipolar or anxiety type issues, memory loss can come from depression, or it can come from a variety of other mental disorders, or just be from stress itself.... i dont think psychosis itself causes either of those things, psychosis is a symptom, more than it is a diagnosis.... so in and of itself it does not "cause" anything other than maybe some negative results in your life and confusion and etc. but it doesn't cause more symptoms is my point. i highly recommend you write down what you want to say and keep the paper with you so you can continue to write it all down btwn now and the appointment each time something comes up ... and just hand it to your therapist/psychiatrist when you go ....

13. tiggersafire

tiggersafire Well-Known Member

I hear voices outside and inside my head. The ones outside whisper my name and "die". The ones inside tell me people are after me, want to hurt me, etc. and tell me what to do. I asked my psychiatrist and she said that I am hearing voices in both cases.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.