@MAC0 — I empathize completely with your situation. I had a wonderful psychiatrist for many many many years and then he retired. He did a combination of therapies with me in our “talk therapy” sessions. Bits of CBT, DBT, psychodynamic and interpersonal therapy. He listened and helped me figure out what I was thinking and how I could move forward.
Then he retired. And I sort of was okay until this spring. I crashed badly, and ended up doing an intensive six-week program in CBT. It offered 5-6 sessions with a counsellor while the other sessions we did were the “learning” the skills as a group. Now it’s over and I’m left with a binder full of skills and information, and no one to talk to about when the skills have worked and when they haven’t and what to do about when they haven’t.
A wise friend of mine from the medical profession explained:
Most folks who are struggling need regular support and encouragement. Sometimes the most helpful thing a therapist can do is simply to model patience and a calm perspective!
The problem with individual psychotherapy is that it is labour-intensive and one therapist can see only so many people. But some folks NEED psychotherapy - not CBT, not online psycho-education, etc.
The trend in most places seems to be 5-6 sessions and off you go! If you want more therapy, it’s usually from a social worker/psychologist/therapist, and is paid for from your own pocket. Where I live, some of these people offer therapy on a sliding scale. Maybe you can find something like that where you are. I can imagine that you feel at loose ends and unsettled right now. I wish you good luck and success in finding a way to get support. At the very least, you have SF’s peer-to-peer support.
Be safe and stay well!
Then he retired. And I sort of was okay until this spring. I crashed badly, and ended up doing an intensive six-week program in CBT. It offered 5-6 sessions with a counsellor while the other sessions we did were the “learning” the skills as a group. Now it’s over and I’m left with a binder full of skills and information, and no one to talk to about when the skills have worked and when they haven’t and what to do about when they haven’t.
A wise friend of mine from the medical profession explained:
Most folks who are struggling need regular support and encouragement. Sometimes the most helpful thing a therapist can do is simply to model patience and a calm perspective!
The problem with individual psychotherapy is that it is labour-intensive and one therapist can see only so many people. But some folks NEED psychotherapy - not CBT, not online psycho-education, etc.
The trend in most places seems to be 5-6 sessions and off you go! If you want more therapy, it’s usually from a social worker/psychologist/therapist, and is paid for from your own pocket. Where I live, some of these people offer therapy on a sliding scale. Maybe you can find something like that where you are. I can imagine that you feel at loose ends and unsettled right now. I wish you good luck and success in finding a way to get support. At the very least, you have SF’s peer-to-peer support.