Therapy issues.

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Beka, Sep 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beka

Beka Well-Known Member

Okay so I've been getting help ever since March this year.

It's been okay but I feel like it's also started to get worse? Like when I have bad days, they're really bad days.

I've been moved around with therapists and now it's finally getting sorted. Or so I thought. I'm now going to receive therapy through MHCO.

Because they don't deal with SI, they've decided that I should have two therapists.. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I'm going to give it a shot because it might not be that bad, but at the same time, I'm more nervous about it. Especially as they're treating me like this.

I'm also on anti depressants, Citlopram. The side affects have been horrendous.

I also need to go for a consultation with my doctor now that I told MHCO that I'm feeling more suicidal lately. I'm worried about that more than anything because I absolutely HATE talking about that. Anything else, yeah, fine, but not that. I know I'm 20 so they can't without my permission, but I don't want them to tell my parents because they feel like I'm a danger to myself.

It feels like my head is going to burst. I wish this was easier. I keep crying, and crying, and crying. Sometimes I think I'd be better off if I asked to be put in hospital for a little bit just to escape normal everyday life so I could focus and try to find out the base of my problems. But I know if you're put in hospital under Mental Health that it can affect travelling and seeing as I go to America a lot I don't want to be stopped.

I wish I could just do that though. Just be put somewhere where I can focus on my problems. And not face anyone. I don't want to make my family upset. But I feel like I'm a danger to myself because of the suicidal idealizations. I don't want to make my mum upset. But I feel like I'm a ticking bomb just waiting to explode and then I know I will put myself in hospital but not because I want help.
  2. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Don't get me started with therapists and doctors and whatnot, it will just turn into an angry tirade.

In the UK it does take an awful lot to be sectioned under the mental health act, and they don't just surprise you with it, you have to be informed that they are doing a MHA assessment. There are only very rare cases where someone just does not have any mental capacity at all where they will section them and force them into hospital for their own safety, but CMHT try to avoid that happening as much as possible. If your doctors are concerned about your suicidal thoughts, they will most likely hook you up with a CPN, or if they are concerned about your imminent safety they may refer you to the crisis team. CPN's are brilliant for long term support, and they are very knowledgeable about medications, coping techniques etc. When I had a CPN he even suggested changing medications and got my GP to prescribe something else that he thought would be more beneficial to me. I have also been under the crisis team. In general, they are there to support you to keep you out of hospital and help you through the acute phase of a mental health crisis. They can get emergency scripts for you, visit you daily (sometimes even more than once a day) and they also have a phone line so you can contact them 24/7. Usually decisions about whether to hospitalise someone will lie with them. If they feel you need hospital care they usually always offer you the chance to go into hospital as an informal patient, can arrange beds etc. If you decline and are acutely mentally ill and pose a real danger to yourself then that is where they may do a MHA assessment but like I say, they really are a very last resort. There are also a lot of practitioners involved in sectioning someone and they all have to agree that sectioning someone is the best course of action to take. As far as I am aware, being detained under a section 136, section 4, section 5.2 and section 5.4 and a section 2 would not affect your travelling status. I think when you are detained under a section 3 then it can affect your travelling status but I don't know the ins and outs of it.

The best thing to do to help yourself is to be completely honest about how you are feeling with your doctors and therapists because if you aren't then they can't help you fully. You also have to be quite forceful with them sometimes. If you disagree with something, tell them why you disagree and try to come to something you agree to. They can walk all over you if you let them, you have to put your foot down with them sometimes. It might mean short term implications, but it is to benefit you in the long term overall.
  3. Beka

Beka Well-Known Member

Sorry but what's a CPN? From what you've said it sounds like that would be better for me. I feel like I just need a much more stable support system where it isn't just going to crumble when I miss one appointment.
    I don't want to be sectioned and I know it takes a bloody lot for that to happen, I know you're more likely to spend a night (not even that) in hospital before they send you home again.

I've been under the crisis team once in January after I had to go to A&E but that was for only a short period of time until I started with my therapy.
  4. Butterfly

A CPN is a community psychiatric nurse. They tend to support people with long term illnesses or support them through their journey to recovery. With my CPN, to begin with he used to visit me weekly, then if I was doing better fortnightly. He used to help me come up with alternative coping mechanisms for self harm, self destruction, suicidal thoughts etc and helped me with medication changes. He also referred me to my psychiatrist. They also have close links with therapy services, GP's and psychiatrists. They are able to monitor your progress, as you become better, their visits will decrease, but they will always be there if you need them. They do only work 9-5, but you can always give them a ring and leave a message if you need to see them sooner.

You have to be referred by either your GP or psychiatrist so you may be able to talk to one of those about getting some more interim support between appointments.
  5. Beka

Beka Well-Known Member

So say for example you started to get better so the visits decreased, but if you had a bad week they would come and visit inbetween the regular visits? Do the visits have to be in your own home? Just because if I did seek out this kind of support visiting my home is not an option. My family are always there and while they know, I'd rather not let them interrupt.
  6. Butterfly

Yes, usually they will try and see you as soon as possible if you need it. CPN's do tend to visit at home, but if that is not an option then I am sure you can come to some sort of arrangement.
  7. Beka

Beka Well-Known Member

Hmm, well thanks for bringing up CPN's. If the two therapists don't work out it's definitely something I'll look at! Thank you :)
  8. Cariad_Bach

Cariad_Bach Staff Alumni

also, if you go into hospital as a voluntary patient, then you are not 'sectioned' and it is no different to being admitted for any other medical issue, in terms of travelling status or anything else. Furthermore, even if you are 'sectioned' they cannot tell your parents, or anyone you don't want them to. When I was sectioned, my folks didn't know until the third day because I didn't call them - even though I had no clothing or anything at the hospital.
  9. Beka

Beka Well-Known Member

I live with my parents so it would be a bit hard for them to not notice! If I had to go in I would man up and tell my parents this, but I just don't want my doctor telling them I'm suicidal.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.