Therapy Question

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by gchicklet, Apr 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gchicklet

gchicklet Well-Known Member

ok, so I've been seeing a counselor for over a month now. In our first session he gave me his business card and told me I could email him if I needed to, and nothing else was ever said about it and he knew I was suicidal at the time (I am doing better now)

Recently we changed our schedule from every week to every two. I am having a hard time with this. it was ok the first time we went two weeks but this time I'm really feeling overwhelmed and I feel like I can't cope. I really want to email him and tell him what's going on but I feel like that's being too clingy and needy. I feel like I would be intruding on his non work life.

So what do you think? Is it ok to email him?

2. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I understand your concern. I glanced at the posts you have made. And I hope you can go back to seeing your therapist once a week. What did you cut back to every other week? Seems you are in too much pain to do that :hug:

I say go for it. Email him. Do you want to ask him for an apt sooner than the 2 weeks? Tell him what you are feeling. Tell him that the cut back is feeling very difficult for you. Therapists get the big bucks because they are supposed to be available for the occassional phone call. So with him, its email. Just try to remember how much money he makes. That might help you feel okay about turning to him by email.

You can also say that you respect his bounderies. And emailing him is taken very seriously. Or something like that. Thats just my opinion. Sorry you are in so much pain right now. AND I am glad you like your therapist. But I hope you go back to once a week. :hug:

3. gchicklet

we cut back to two weeks for two reasons. I think.

1. I honestly seemed to be doing well. He said that he didnt think anything would come up in two weeks that I couldn't handle and I agreed. There was a potential crisis moment during the first two weeks and I handled it very well. So at my last appointment we agreed that since I handled that well I should be able to be fine with another two weeks.

2. I think (I could be way off on this one) the other reason he suggested every two weeks is because at this point I'm basically a charity case. My church is paying for it and only appproved me for 6 sessions. We have two left. Maybe he was trying to stretch them out a bit.

If I do email him, I'm going to tell him what I said here about feeling needy and clingy, etc. Seriously all I want to do is hide under my blankets and shut down and ignore the world. I have done this a couple times the last few days and it just caused more things to pile up and make the overwhelming feelings worse.

thanks for your response.

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

If your therapist gave you his email address then he would want you to use it and let him know how you are coping ok so yes email him for sure

5. issy

issy Member

yes.. yes yes.. and i know . i was seeign my dr two weekly but now i need weekly.

6. flowers

flowers Senior Member

i read your response, please do contact him for sure. It is very important to let him know how you feel. So he can help you. I thought this was more ongoing. Considering you were granted 6 sessions it makes it even more important to let him know whats happening. Your feelings and well being are important. Speak up for yourself. So you can try to avoid more of a crisis later on. Yes? Empowerment is using your voice. Or in this case email. :hug:

7. gchicklet

so I bit the bullet this morning and sent the email....now im obsessing in waiting for a response.....

ugh....

8. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I know its hard when someone is in such a position of power over emotional wellness. But he did give you his email address. And did invite you to use it. I hope you can breathe knowing you didnt do anything wrong. Although I understand how you would feel nervous. Here are a few hugs. Hope they help

:hug: :hug2: :arms:

9. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I was going to suggest sending the e-mail, but have read you already have. Best of luck, let us know what happens next :)

10. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

I would say there's nothing untoward about emailing your therapist, since it was he who said you could when he gave you his card. And being a therapist, he would be understanding - I cannot see anything wrong about it :)

11. gchicklet

ok, so I did get a reply and he offered me an open appointment that he had for tonight

12. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

the waiting for a response from a thearpist can be a hardest thing to do for anyone is the wait for what they got to say.

13. flowers

flowers Senior Member

Thats great news. All I am going to say is that you deserved that apt. And you deserve good care from a good therapist. I am so glad you used your voice ( well, your email voice). You did good.

14. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

What a great therapist hun hope your meeting went well and you got the support you needed

15. gchicklet

So it went well. He didn't mention what I said in the email about not wanting to be needy or clingy or a PITA which surprised me.

But he did say that he was happy I emailed him and in spite of feeling like something scraped off the bottom of a shoe I am doing good things.

He also told me I'm not allowed to think about how future sessions with him will be paid for since the church is only paying for one more.

16. youRprecious!

Just ask him nicely and gently if he could clarify this for you hun - does it mean he is prepared to offer his services for free? I think you need to get that settled specifically, because you don't want to end up obligated to him - it would not be good for the balance of power between you, which must always stay on the professional-client basis when you are vulnerable :)

17. gchicklet

Thanks for the concern. I guess I should clarify that. I have insurance now which I didnt have when we started. Unfortunately while the office is in my network I have to meet my deductable first. The other option is a sliding scale. We talked a little bit about the two options but with everything else that is frustrating me right now he told me that I'm not allowed to think about it until we talk again at our regular appointment which is in less than a week.

18. youRprecious!

oh, well that's better! :) Thank u for clarifying

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.