thinking about a support group.. last hope

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by ava321, Jun 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ava321

ava321 Active Member

I am sorry if I put this in the wrong place.. I looked around first. But I figure people that post here specifically would be able to share some insight.

I'm feeling desperate and I was thinking about going to this group. http://www.dbsahouston.org/ It's free and not far. Has anybody else been to this or something similar? (I'm not asking anyone to state if they live in this area, just inquiring about experience). I think I just need to be around people who understand what's wrong with me. I want to go and just listen to see how it goes one night. I'm afraid they'll ask me to talk about myself and I'll get upset and just leave crying. I have to ease my way into something like this with strangers.

I know I need help and I'm trying to find it. I don't want a therapist because being trained to understand and truly understanding isn't the same thing. And I just don't like the 1 on 1 talk thing. I feel like I'd be better with a group. I don't know. I just want to get better. I think a support group might finally a step in the right direction.

2. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

I do hope it helps you ava - I am sure the facilitator of the group will know that not everyone can talk about themselves to strangers so won't put pressure on you, and if it does happen you can always say "Pass - I'd rather not tonight, thanks all the same" or something. A support group should be just that - there to support, or it isn't doing what it says it does and you can just leave :)

3. JV3

JV3 Well-Known Member

I definitely think something like that could be a good thing for you. I would imagine for new people, they would more or less just let you observe and see if it's for you. I don't think you risk anything by giving it a try.

4. ava321

ava321 Active Member

I just might go this week.

5. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

That's great news ava - I do hope it is a good experience for you :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.