thinking too much stops you from living?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by morning rush, Sep 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I think a lot of my depression and self esteem issues go with me thinking too much. Often I get ideas of what to do, but then I start thinking so much that it keeps me from doing anything. If I want to do something I need to literally stop thinking. For weeks I've been telling myself I would go to the movies. Then I think and tell myself, go on tuesday 'cause it's half off. But then tuesday comes and there's this debate in my head and I end up never going. If I stopped thinking then I could go and actually enjoy something.

Does this happen to other people? how do you live with it?

2. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi, over-thinking does not help but causes so much turmoil inside oneself. You need to remain focused and positive on a daily basis and do not let the darkness over power you. You feel the world is against you but as each day goes by the determination for living increases. You need to remain focused each day and this helps each day. I hate my life but as each day goes by I'm driven by determination to achieve whatever life throws at me. Keep focused and keep posting here as every post helps others in their own anguish. Trying to beat depression is hard but together and support of others it can be conquered with the right help, advice or therapy. Keep strong Morning-Rush. I hope this helps you and just take one day at a time....

3. Yes, I think over thinking (especially negative thinking) is a symptom of depression. In my esperience this is definitely the case

4. Viktor

Viktor Well-Known Member

5. ethelred

ethelred Member

I tend to overthink things too. I'm starting a degree course soon and because I think so far ahead, I'm getting depressed thinking that I'll be 32 when it finishes and even older. It's made me very unhappy over the last few weeks.

6. Danialla

Danialla Well-Known Member

I overthink things too. Instead of just going with the feelings, I overthink as to "why, why now, why can't I stop, etc." I hate depression!

7. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

In a nutshell, thinking too much does stop you from living.

For me to make that statement, here are my reasons why.

Consider the time spent thinking - and the time spent "over thinking". Those moments in time are never coming back to you. Ok, sometimes it is necessary to be a bit more thoughtful with choices of words or phrases, but when it's over thinking on negativity-based emotions/thoughts etc, you're consuming yourself and the potential time to avoid falling in the pit... (ok, I'm not the best with words, but if you get what I mean - fair play to you).

It's not easy to change how one thinks from overthinking into not doing so - I mean, I overthink and rarely do myself, so who am I to offer supportive advice that may be beneficial? I am but words on a screen - you can take what you like, however much or little you desire.

8. random33

random33 Well-Known Member

I do to, but with teraphy I've learned to be a bit more impulsive and not to take ages making even the minor decisions. Sometimes we just have to go with it, even if it's out of our confort zone, with time things get easier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.