Thoughts About Depressive Realizism?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by LowCog, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LowCog

LowCog Member

I know me, and I've been trying to read up on Depressive Realizism.
    http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/15809/1/What-Is-Depressive-Realism.html

I would like to get some more insight on this subject.

Discuss?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2014
  2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Junk "science" advanced as a theory 25 years or so ago and really only found now in articles like the one you linked written by somebody with no credentials in non peer reviewed publications. The only reason is still is discussed is because everybody wants to "be right" - which in fact shows that even the discussion evolves from a bias- the need to believe "I am right it is the vast majority of the world and all other science and validated blind studies that are wrong.

3. Adam

Adam SF Supporter

It is not a junk science it is science in progress as the jury is still out on anything concrete. It is also not a theory, but a hypothesis. That in some studies has actually been replicated and in others have failed under similar conditions. The true issue is defining realism in the first place. Results have varied across subject groups. Not surprising really, as it throws up the variables of individual perception.

Also not all of those studies made use of those who are labelled as clinically depressed. To make matters more complex, clinical depression does not show up in a nice neat brain scan either. So to be labelled clinically depressed relies on value judgements and self reporting. So it is a messy inconclusive science to wade through. Much like most of psychology the moment it steps outside the bounds of behaviourism. Out of 75 studies thus far, it is suggestive there is some hints of minor depressive realism in effect. But the results keep changing dependent on the methodology. Throwing up other interesting questions that have yet to be answered.

The article though seems to imply depressive people may be right in their perception. Most studies show that depressives are more prone to negativity bias. Viewing things worse than they actually are.

How would you define realism in the first place? Considering our minds suck at realism as we are hard wired to see patterns that don't exist, as we have brains that like to fill in the gaps and literally make stuff up, as well as filter out other stuff. So we can even be blind in our perceptions. The article goes on to discuss cognitive biases, these are already well known. Here is a list of a multitude of them. If you are interested.

http://www.businessinsider.com/cognitive-biases-2013-8?op=1

So a better question is, why are you interested in it? What are you hoping to find? Meaning in your depression?

4. random33

random33 Well-Known Member

Yes, life sucks, we all know this depressed or not, there is disease, natural disasters, wars, terrible human beings, injustice and so on, we are all going to die in the end and there is nothing we can do about it, also for the most part we have little control about what happens, I can be heading home today be hit by a bus and die or get paralized for life.

Nothing of this means that people with depression have a more realistic view of the world, it is quite the oposite actually, first depression makes us focus only on the negative, there is no realism here, we cannot realize our real value for the most part and we consider ourselfs inferior to the rest of the world in pretty much every aspect. Basically depression only let's us focus on the negative and not in the positive, as for realism, is there such a real thing ?

The world that we see is the interpretation that our brains make of it, we are just insignificant little creatures living in a tiny rock in a lost corner of the Universe, whatever we do will not have any impact in the grand scheme of things, the Universe will move on long after humanity is gone, if one is not religious or spiritual that is it, that's the reality so why worry, why be depressed. We may spend our lifes searching for a higher meaning, but there may really be none and that is not a bad thing, that is actually liberating, the problem with depression is that we cannot control our own toughts, we can reationalize things, but not control them.

5. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Nearly the definition of a failed hypothesis- and while i am not sure I would quite qualify it as more then a ramble it calls itself a theory in every reference I have ever seen on it ... but if it is unrepeatable on a predictable basis then Junk science certainly seems appropriate to me. Others are certainly entitled to their own opinions.

6. Adam

Adam SF Supporter

What are you talking about? The article or the current science on depressive realism?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.