tips for improving my mood during the summer

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by emily83, Apr 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

wondering if their is anyone else on here who always feels worse during the summer, and if so- what you do to try and make yourself feel better?

my issue during the summer, is mainly to do with what's going around me.. people going to picnics, swimming, to the fair- that kind of thing.

i sit here.. cursing at the light, wishing it would just hurry up and get dark, wishing it would rain, just feeling worse than i would at other times of the year

due to my physical and mental issues (particularly the fact that i havon't been able to leave my house for years), i seem to get very depressed during the summertime

anyone have any suggestions of what i could do to make things a little more easier on me- i know it won't be perfict, but feeling slightly down is better than feeling totally empty

surely their must be rain machines or something out their... lol... just kind of throwing ideas around
  2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I have clearly felt ambivalent about the nice is as if I expect myself to be more 'sunny' and sometimes, I am so far from feeling that way...for me, I sat outside today before going to work to ease into Spring...these few minutes helped a lot...maybe just getting outside the front door will begin to help
  3. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I am the opposite, I get more depressed in winter because gloomy weather brings me down more. But I can relate to what you say about being around people enjoying themselves, it can be hard when you feel you don't want to, but try and find something you like doing. Sometimes I kind of put myself in a bubble and not worry about what other people are's like I isolate myself while I'm around a bunch of people...seems to work alright. I hope you can find something that lifts your mood :hug:
  4. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

sometimes i wonder if i'm the only person who struggles with the summertime (probably not), but it does seem that way

thanks for the replies people
  5. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

I understand where you're coming from. I don't like seeing everyone going for days out, or hearing about the holiday they are going on. The summer holidays when the kids break up from school is the worst because everyone is doing stuff with their friends and I'm just locked inside.

But I don't hate the season. Most of my days are spent pretty much the same anyway, no matter the weather. Though I do feel like I should go out when it starts getting nice.

Things that make me feel about during the summer - wearing my pretty summer dresses, sitting outside the the back garden and reading, drinking smoothies. If you can, try to get away from a day trip somewhere. Just a bit of sight-seeing, seeing new things, etc.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.