Tips on preventing depression relapses?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Failure, Oct 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Failure

Failure Well-Known Member

Almost every two days I'm relapsing back into depression, and I haven't found any way to prevent it. I've tried many things, but none of them seem to work. If you have any tips...please share.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Just keep busy have a plan for what you will do for the next day and follow it If you find it had to get out in the morning make any appts you have to be in the am so it gets you out of bed early and gets you moving Staying inside brings on the depression Try to have contact with people that care about you Make dates to go to movies or shopping with friends
    Just don't isolate ok depression will get worse then

3. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Get a regular routine and do not feel isolated. Keep posting here for support.

4. JV3

JV3 Well-Known Member

Make a strong effort to avoid things that make you feel depressed.

Like everyone else has said, having a routine is great, too. If nothing else, try to take a walk or job at some time during the day when it is convenient for you and try to stick to it. If your thoughts wander too much doing that then try listening to music while doing it.

Also doing things like cooking by trying new recipes or learning a new skill or instrument can be a good idea, too. I have found that new hobbies or skills can be part of a "fresh start" in your life where you can say to yourself, "this is something that the new me can do." Often times we reflect on our lives and our past self and that can be a large source for those feelings.

Changing how we think and how we react usually takes longer than anything else. It's much easier to change things we do everyday and allow that to be a foundation for change in ourselves; so, things like exercise routines, new cooking techniques, playing music, or just simply getting into a habit of reading books can all be the start of a slow, but positive, change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.