1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Told I don't have depression

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Leav, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Leav

Leav Well-Known Member

I had a mental health assessment recently, they diagnosed me with traits of a personality disorder. I wasn't diagnosed with major depression, even though I feel really depressed... I don't know what to do, I feel so depressed, I have no motivation, it's hard to even get dressed. My GP isn't very good so I need to switch, but I'm finding it hard to do that. Should I just accept this diagnosis, but I do feel like I have depression as well? Am I just lazy? I know I should accept the diagnosis because the doctor knows better than me but I do feel I have depression?

2. Silverpuddle

Silverpuddle Some kind of geek SF Author SF Supporter

My suggestion is not to get too hung up on your diagnosis. The name they call what's bothering you isn't as important as how they're going to treat the problem. Did the person who diagnosed you tell you anything about what you can do to feel better?

Freya and Leav like this.
  3. Leav

Leav Well-Known Member

They told me to get psychotherapy, it's expensive though, I can only afford the budget services :/

4. Silverpuddle

Silverpuddle Some kind of geek SF Author SF Supporter

The preferred treatment for depression includes psychotherapy too, so I'm not sure if the diagnosis makes a difference. If anything, you're saving money by not having to go to a psychiatrist and get meds. Do any of the therapy options in your reach sound promising?

5. Leav

Leav Well-Known Member

I guess you're right there.

Yes some seem fairly ok, will give them a go until I find the right person.

drinty, Lulabelle and Silverpuddle like this.
  6. Sweet2th

Sweet2th Member

Has there been any events in your life that’s causing you to lose motivation? Have you been eating and sleeping well in the recent days? Is there any health changes or relational breakdowns? Are you taking any meds for health conditions or otherwise that may cause depression?

I think beginning some kind of therapy would be a good start. I don’t believe that doctors know more about you than you! They know a lot about medical conditions and treatments to relieve them, but ultimately, you know your body and yourself better than any doctor. For the best outcome, you need to work together with doctors and be honest with them. Please don’t wait for them to read your mind. Let them know what is going on inside you so that they can better assess your condition and find you the help you need.

In the meanwhile, it would be good for you to find someone to just talk about your struggles. Do you have any close friends or family or pastor to talk to?

Leav and Deety like this.
  7. Walker

Walker Everything Zen Staff Member Safety & Support SF Social Media SF Supporter

The diagnosis isn't as important as what comes from the recovery process. Also, it sounds like maybe you didn't get to talk to someone for very long. "Diagnosis" isn't something done after 15 minutes.. or an hour.. or two. It's over a few times of seeing someone, at least, and I'm not sure that's how your post reads.

Leav likes this.
  8. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

It's reasonable to see someone else for a second opinion

May I ask who did the mental health assessment?

9. littlelucy

littlelucy Well-Known Member

I think you should switch doctors because they clearly don't care and aren't listening to you.

Paisley likes this.
  10. Leav

Leav Well-Known Member

A psychiatrist, but that was my first time meeting him (he had read my previous notes though).

11. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

I think it's ok to seek a second opinion. If you feel depressed or suicidal, it sounds to me like you really are depressed. You might want to ask specifically if how you are feeling may mean that you are depressed.

The links in my signature might also be helpful to you. There are some self-help methods there, so even if you don't have a formal diagnosis for depression, you still might be able to get some effective treatment.

12. Angel368

Angel368 Well-Known Member

Depression is one of the symptoms of a personality disorder, but you don't need to accept or get caught up with a diagnosis. I believe the only treatment for personality disorder is to treat the symptoms, depression in your case, with medication and/or psychotherapy. There are resources online if you're not able to access therapy right now. Personality disorder is a contraversial diagnosis right now, try not to worry too much. Only you know how you are feeling, trust yourself and take care of yourself the best you can.