• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

Transition to "maintenance therapy" and soon none probably

Kiwi2016

🦩 Now a flamingo, not a kiwi 🦩
SF Pro
#1
I am seeing my therapist just once a month and reduced med to every other day. After the intensity of in patient and out patient, weekly therapy and proactively mental health reading/exploring to make sense of how I ended up where I did I find that now it is as if I am purposelessly drifting, if that makes any sense? My therapist has said all I need to do is just live my life each day yet I am finding that is easier said than done...will appreciate any insights/thoughts etc.
 

Windhover

meandering home
SF Supporter
#2
live my life each day yet I am finding that is easier said than done...will appreciate any insights/thoughts etc.
I hope you are not going to mind a strong reaction from me @Kiwi2016. My thoughts: to finish therapy and meds is a big, no it's a huge deal. it's vital to mark this, to celebrate(?) or congratulate yourself somehow on getting the therapy and doing the work you did. The fact that the work doesn't end makes this blurry I guess. Now, it's almost all on your shoulders.

I don't know what to say in my thoughts about drifting without purpose, because it's where I have been for a few months now. [more feeling than thought -> for me, it is sad, uncomfortable, more than a little scary and doesn't feel sustainable. I want to travel, and see if I can find myself again, but don't really have the money to do that for any significant length of time.

Is there anything, like for me the travel, that is beckoning to you?

hugs
 
#3
First of all, this is HUGE for you and absolutely amazing. i am sure a bit scary as well. However i am certain that you wouldn't be transitioned into more self care if you were not ready. You have been given the skills and knowledge needed to be successful. Just remember that even if you stumble or take a step back, you can get back up and move forward again. You can even just stand in place till you get your bearings to be able to move forward again. Use your support system. That's why it's there. You can do this!
 

Kiwi2016

🦩 Now a flamingo, not a kiwi 🦩
SF Pro
#6
Thank you all for your thoughts, advice, support, and encouragement. It means so much to hear and read and re-read these all.
I hope you are not going to mind a strong reaction from me @Kiwi2016. My thoughts: to finish therapy and meds is a big, no it's a huge deal. it's vital to mark this, to celebrate(?) or congratulate yourself somehow on getting the therapy and doing the work you did. The fact that the work doesn't end makes this blurry I guess. Now, it's almost all on your shoulders.

I don't know what to say in my thoughts about drifting without purpose, because it's where I have been for a few months now. [more feeling than thought -> for me, it is sad, uncomfortable, more than a little scary and doesn't feel sustainable. I want to travel, and see if I can find myself again, but don't really have the money to do that for any significant length of time.

Is there anything, like for me the travel, that is beckoning to you?

hugs
Thank you @seabird for your encouragement and congratulations. Your comment that it's almost all on my shoulders now struck a chord with me as realizing that is part of my fear. I know and feel so fortunate to have had an external support structure for the last 8 years so this is my comfort zone and I have shared my responsibility for my mental health - now it is becoming my sole responsibility and I'll admit that is unsettling.
I will give some more thought to what is beckoning to me. I am volunteering on a library committee and at a mini-horse sanctuary as well as trying to regularly exercise.

First of all, this is HUGE for you and absolutely amazing. i am sure a bit scary as well. However i am certain that you wouldn't be transitioned into more self care if you were not ready. You have been given the skills and knowledge needed to be successful. Just remember that even if you stumble or take a step back, you can get back up and move forward again. You can even just stand in place till you get your bearings to be able to move forward again. Use your support system. That's why it's there. You can do this!
Thank you @AmberMarie for your encouragement. And yes you are so right about the stumbles as that is life, right? And I like your idea of standing in place for a bit just to figure out my next moves/steps/whatever. And yes I will use my support system of which SF is such a huge part--thanks to you and all here couldn't have made it without it.

It sounds like the healthcare professionals you're seeing want to file you as successfully treated, but you don't see things that way.

When your therapy and medication were reduced, did they offer any basis for this? Do you think they simply don't understand, or do you think they're doing this for other reasons?
Thank you @may71 and yes I do believe they believe I am well on my way as the saying goes. In part, my MH was so closely tied to situational issues (forced retirements and parental stuff)...these are all now in the past and so as I have been negotiating my life without these for the last year or so, I have continued to progress beyond these and perhaps part of me wants to cling to this past as it has been my comfort zone irregardless if it is dysfunctional it is familiar-- and they see that I am ready for this even if I am unsure.

Just wandering, have you discussed what you've been feeling about this with your therapist? Your medical professionals have helped to guide you this far after all. So why not an extra nudge for those last few steps?
Thank you @Ash600 Yes I have more with my therapist than psychiatrist. Psychiatrist visits are every 3 months and only 15 minute video chats. My therapist is helping me with this transition. Perhaps because I am moving past a hyper-focus on my MH and attempting to simply live my life it feels purposeless. My therapist has had me working on positive affirmations of sorts regarding my predisposed thoughts re: financial, personal, marriage, friendship, hobbies/volunteering, and future plans. This I hope can give me a sustainable responsive framework for my life as I make these "mine" so to speak if that makes any sense.

Thank you all again for taking the time to read & respond...so much appreciated!!!!! And apologies for the seriously long post!

Wishing you all the very best for your morning, day, afternoon, evening...depending on where you are in the world :)
 

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
#7
Something just struck me, it's what you said in your recent reply @Kiwi2016 ".....perhaps part of me wants to cling to this past as it has been my comfort zone irregardless if it is dysfunctional it is familiar-- and they see that I am ready for this even if I am unsure. " Just as with so many, people can find comfort in familiarity so it's understandable from where you're coming from regarding this. Personally I feel at times that it's just the general concept of this familiarity and the comfort it can bring and not what it exacly pertains to that can prove the stumbling block to progression. It is I guess, the uncertainty of the unknown that could lead to a subconcious feeling of not being in full control.
Could be worth talking this over with your therapist?
 

Kiwi2016

🦩 Now a flamingo, not a kiwi 🦩
SF Pro
#8
Something just struck me, it's what you said in your recent reply @Kiwi2016 ".....perhaps part of me wants to cling to this past as it has been my comfort zone irregardless if it is dysfunctional it is familiar-- and they see that I am ready for this even if I am unsure. " Just as with so many, people can find comfort in familiarity so it's understandable from where you're coming from regarding this. Personally I feel at times that it's just the general concept of this familiarity and the comfort it can bring and not what it exacly pertains to that can prove the stumbling block to progression. It is I guess, the uncertainty of the unknown that could lead to a subconcious feeling of not being in full control.
Could be worth talking this over with your therapist?
Thank you... and yes you've hit the nail on the head as they say.... :)
 

Kiwi2016

🦩 Now a flamingo, not a kiwi 🦩
SF Pro
#10
Change is scary.

I'm wondering if you know what your values are, what makes you smile, what brings joy and meaning to your life.
Yes change is scary and if I'm honest...this is a work in progress as they say...as part of this is permitting myself to do such things as being worthwhile ... if that makes sense.
 

Kiwi2016

🦩 Now a flamingo, not a kiwi 🦩
SF Pro
#12
Hope your ok sorry posting on a old post sounds like your making adjustments that may take sometime to feel a new normal wishing you the best
no worry about posting on old post...and you are right about time for adjustments...life is a journey as they say...
 

Kiwi2016

🦩 Now a flamingo, not a kiwi 🦩
SF Pro
#14
Very and excellent way of dealing and saying that. You inspired me today and I was have a rough day thank you
Thank you for your kind words. Realizing that finding my new "normal" is uncharted territory that requires being pro-active rather than passive living or re-active living day to day. I admit the lure of the equivalent of just laying on a hammock and watching the world go by has a lot of appeal...but simultaneously determined to continue this journey in spite of that/myself... not sure if any of this makes sense as pre-coffee so apologies if muddled.

So sorry you had a rough day.... sending you positive vibes and *hugs. Hope today is a bit better for you.
 

Kiwi2016

🦩 Now a flamingo, not a kiwi 🦩
SF Pro
#15
Struggling with this still...as now am on every 4th day script for Prozac-Psychiatrist increased days not taking but dosage remains the same.

In talking with therapist yesterday realized this isn't working as feeling a bit like on a roller coaster but with slippage into depression/flatness/weariness' feelings. Going to contact psychiatrist and wondering if anyone else has had similar experience?
 
Last edited:

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top