treatment

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by AnnieK, Jan 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnnieK

AnnieK Well-Known Member

went to psychiatrist today and this is what she said:

"you have to fight this. with everything you have."

ya' know, i've been fighting my whole life. to get up every day. to get dressed. to go to work. to meet out with friends. to get up on a stage. all of it has been tremendous work, fight if you will, to do each and every day of at least the past 30 years. fight more? I'M EXHAUSTED. i can barely move at this point.

any thoughts on this?

also she said i wasn't expressing my anger. ask any boyfriend, colleague, neighbor, family member, stranger on the street if i have trouble expressing my anger! wft? :yell:

she told me that if i did these things i'd make it. that the meds may have numbed me. [christ now we're changing our tune, she initially told me the meds would help tremendously] so two years later here i am. and the answer is FIGHT?!

that and find a hobby. does plotting a slow painful torture of my psychiatrist considered a hobby? :mmph:
    [yes, that's a joke folks. if you know me i joke so i don't cry]

anybody else have this kind of advice given to them by so called professionals?!

bobbi
    :frusty:

2. demuredawn

demuredawn Well-Known Member

i've had them tell me that i should not be surprised when ppl abuse me, b/c my behavior to them antangonizes it therefore, i should expect it...

i've had them tell me that my problems aren't as big as other ppl's so i should just get over it and they should not be a big deal to me anymore

i've had them tell me that i'm just not trying hard enough (this, without them telling me exactly wtf i'm even sposed to be doing that i'm not already doing)

so yea, i've had some terrible advice come from "professionals"

3. AnnieK

AnnieK Well-Known Member

thx for the response. glad somebody responded. makes me not feel so alone. not many people respond on here, so i appreciate it.

4. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi, I have spoken to professionals and in some cases they help but sharing your thoughts on this forum with other people with similar experiences is the best. I very much encouraged that I have found a place where I can post and share my thoughts. All I can say, just keep posting and we can help each other. Please take care.

5. AnnieK

AnnieK Well-Known Member

thank you, incrisis99. you're very kind.

6. demuredawn

you're welcome AnnieK ... i find that people do respond, but i think with some things they do not respond for one of two reasons: 1) they do not have an experience which allows the to empathize and/or possibly the knowledge to understand how to help 2) they are afraid of being too open and thus too vulnerable when it comes to painful things

7. AnnieK

AnnieK Well-Known Member

true. and thx again. your status says "wasted life". well, in this case, no you aren't. you weren't. a very necessary and helpful life you are.

xo
    bobbi

8. Unknown_111

Dear AnnieK,

Your very welcome. The support we give each other here, helps all of us get through the day. It helps me cope and most important thing, nobody is judging me. Each day is hard but remember you are not alone. Take care and have a nice day. Respect lady.

9. demuredawn

thank you for saying that, it means probably more than you know

10. mpang123

mpang123 Well-Known Member

Very true. My issue is that I can't relate to many because of my lack of experience in my life. However, if I can answer someone, I try my best to help even though sometimes I wonder if I'm being correct in my answers.

11. demuredawn

i have most always found your responses to me to be rather helpful ... as far as "correct", not quite sure even the docs know the "correct" way to treat people with emotional/psychological/mental problems and they are supposed to be professionals who studied for this, so really, don't be too hard on yourself and just keep doing your best :)

12. mpang123

Thank you for the comforting and reassurance, Demuredawn. BTW, have you looked at the Dialectical Behavioral Therapy workbook? I've started browsing through it and it just reinforces the coping skills I have learned in group therapy.

13. AnnieK

AnnieK Well-Known Member

in case nobody's told you, any of you, this today. you are loved. you are necessary. and you matter.

you made my day.

much love,
    bobbi

14. demuredawn

yea i glanced through that one i posted, but my husband actually bought me one at the book store here recently too... i am a bit scared to get into it too much cuz the first thing it asked me is what are 3 things that i do while trying to cope that are things that i would be willing to change (as in coping things that are unhelathy) and honestly, just change itself is super scary to me, so i'm having issues with even trying to think about that, bad huh?

15. demuredawn

ty AnnieK, i hope you also will tell yourself those things, cuz the same is true of you! *huggles*

16. Unknown_111

You welcome, that's means a lot to me. Take care AnnieK

17. mpang123

Demure, that's why many people trying to do those self-help books have the support and guidance from a therapist. I forgot if you go to therapy but I think that will help you through all that heavy stuff.

18. demuredawn

i cannot currently get to a therapist

19. mpang123

Demure, I'm not a therapist, but I think just skim through the book and just select certain topics that are lighter and easier to deal with.

20. demuredawn

well it wants you to like commit yourself to making those changes as you read the book... thats the whole purpose in having you identify the things you are willing to change....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.