Tried to get help

Angie

Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Because of my difficulties in executive processing, it is extremely hard for me to shop, plan and prepare meals. This has been slowly developing over the last year. I buy things thinking I will fix this or that, but never end up with what I need to fix this or that so ingredients either go to waste or pile up. Or if I do get what I need, I get overwhelmed with the process of cooking food.

I turned 60 last month which meant I was in theory eligible for Meals on Wheels. The problem is I still drive. Apparently that is their benchmark. In reality, I go no more than 5 mins away from home on any given day, to the stores or to doctor appointments and once a month a 30 min drive to pdoc. This is too much to qualify I am told. My care manager tried to intervene for me and I even sent a list of my multiple diagnoses to the agency.

I have been turned down, barring some sort of miracle. They did mention the possibility of driving to their Center for meals, but oh man, then everyone in town knows Angie can't make lunch.

There are many people here at my apartment building who get this service and do drive also. I asked how and the answer was simple "they lied." I can't do that.

Any suggestions on what to do?

bobbob

SF Supporter
U could ask for meals on wheels (rather than at the centre) as a reasonable accomodation under the ADA (Americans wioth Disabilities Act) on the grounds that:
1. your anxiety and physical health probs etc make it hard or impossible for you to go to the centre for meals at all or sometimes.
2. Not being able to go sometimes would in itself mean not eating adequately on those days or some of them and that could endanger your health including in relation to for example blood sugar levels.
3. While their policy may state that folk who can drive can not have meals on wheels, they have a duty under the ADA to vary that policy when it puts particular folk at a substantial disadvantage.

anyways, take care.
R :)

I'm glad you pointed out your question in chat, because I almost never look at the forums. I am sometimes too depressed to cook, and understand that you can shop and have the best intentions to, but it just seems to be too much. Grocery stores in the deli sections sometimes have cases of fully prepared meals that you just refrigerate. Don't know what stores you have there, but here the meals cost $5. If going to the store is too overwhelming for you, maybe these meals can be found online to order for pickup. I really hope something helps, and yes Bob had some very good ideas. I admire your strength for looking into getting help, I am usually too intimidated to do that.

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
Admin
SF Supporter
Angie, I found the Meals on Wheels guidelines for Texas. Under Eligibility, it says “genuinely home-bound by reason of physical or emotional health,” and “have a completed assessment for home delivered meals on file with us.”

Has anyone done the assessment with you? Other states define “homebound” as being unable to get out for more than medical appointments or short errands. I would keep trying, Angie. It seems very unfair and inconsistent! Let us know how it goes. *hyg

GFS

Just thought I'd follow up on this thread.

I went at requesting meal service through the Department of Housing and Human Services. After a few days of phone tag I connected with the agent and after about 20 minutes of questions was approved for meal service.

Persistence is sometimes rewarded. Thanks everyone for your support.
Finally! It was about time. I'm happy your request got approved Angie. :)

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00