Trouble getting help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,
I am clearly seriously depressed...i dont see my friends anymore, im not eating, i cry all the time, cant sleep & i see no reason to live. Im in my own little bubble & currently like it that way.
However im struggling with getting support from doctors because i have this 'annoying' reaction of 'giggling' when im nervous (i laugh at bad news) - so whenever i see a doctor they always comment on how i seem 'chirpy' & ok & put it down to the stress of my job. They suggest things like exercise & changes to diet. When i visit my parents, friends & work colleagues im so good at putting a front on that they think im fine & everything is ok..I have let an ex boyfriend of mine know how im feeling but he isnt interested & i just came across as a psycho ex crying down the phone to him etc - not cool but he was the only one i felt i could talk too...
I really wish i could show someone how i really felt & started to get some help :( *sigh*

Sadeyes

Staff Alumni
We all react differently to sadness. i used to laugh at funerals so I really know what you are talking about. Any therapist to whom you tell your reaction to who cannot see that you are in pain, is someone you do not want to work with. Keeping trying to get help. It may take a while, but it is really worth it

Mirikun

Oh dear. ): Hope you're okay! Hang in there!

Have you tried maybe writing it down for a doctor explaining yourself? Maybe that way they'll be able to take you more seriously.

Isabel

Staff Alumni
Hi,

I can totally relate. In real life, most people are really surprised when they learn I have suffered from chronic depression for years. I tend to put out a good front ;) . And as you do, most of my symptoms were physical, insomnia and lack of appetite, not so much crying. Maybe prepare a lists of those before you go to your doctor and then he will have a better chance to see your giggling in the context as a nervous reaction. For sharing your feelings, at least until you find somebody in real life, you can post here :) . One thing that I have found though when I started opening up in real life about it, is the number of people with mental illness who fear talking about it because of the social stigma. Once the ice is broken, methink there is lots more people understanding and willing to listen than we imagine. wish you well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00