trying to figure out what causes/contributes to changes in mood...any ideas?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Liquid Jello, Mar 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liquid Jello

Liquid Jello Well-Known Member

I've been having a certain amount of fluctuation in my mood, and I'll be damned if I can figure out what the precipitating factors are. it's rather frustrating in a way. and I'm really trying to get a handle on the things that may in a way trigger my depression as such.

came across a reference to the "Burns Depression Checklist" and googled it, etc., and scored as currently being moderately depressed. the guy who came up with the checklist is a Dr. David Burns, who I learned also came out with a book some time back entitled "Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy." has anybody ever read the book and/or done the recommended exercises? from what I could gather, it seems to be a cognitively based therapy approach, asserting for example, that "...feelings result from the messages u give urself," etc.

I'm trying out whatever positive approaches that might be helpful in allaying the depression/anxiety in efforts to get a bit more relief. would be great to hear what anybody thinks about Dr. Burns' book and/or any approaches in general that you may have found helpful to alleviate symptoms.

thnx.

chuck

2. lonel

lonel Account Closed

hi chuck!

for me i think its biochemical which can affect and is affected by - and/or - behavioral which can and is by affect(ed). so its two feedback loops that can work independant or together to alter my thoughts/mood/behavior

and i like dr burns esp. the book 'feel good handbook' i think its all cbt but there's a good list of cognitive distortions which are good to be familiar with and alot of other exercises and such- maybe others have an opinion - but for me i like it.

3. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

4. lonel

lonel Account Closed

that looks good urP- but personally i dont like 12 step programs, but they work for many

5. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

12 "baby-er" steps = a lot easier than expecting to be able to do one giant leap lonel - what do you have against them can I ask?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.