TV show on depression on NOW

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by yada, Oct 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yada

yada Well-Known Member

It's 10pm here in Florida, and a show just started on Depression. Being PBS, there will probably be other showings also.

Yada yada yada...

2. powder_girl

powder_girl Active Member

what's it about? I might youtube it.

I can see the whole nature vs nurture argument playing out already...and the hereditary part of it where I always ask myself the question "am i genetically screwed or what?"

3. yada

yada Well-Known Member

It's called "Pain of Depression: A Journey Through the Darkness" and in the first half so far it's discussed how depression affects lots of people, it's a real illness, people have fears about discussing it with doctors, and family support is crucial, etc.

But the one thing I disagree with so far is the idealistic advice to discuss it with a doctor, assuming that everyone has health insurance or other financial resources to afford a doctor. I recently decided to suck up the cost to see a doctor, but that came up to about US$1000 for one visit, because he wanted to run thyroid tests etc. You better believe that adds to my depression.

I'm holding out through the rest of the show to see if they discuss other resources for assistance.

4. powder_girl

powder_girl Active Member

i know

my brother was sent to one of the top psychologists also the director of some psychology research group at UCLA and family decided to pay 10,000 for some sessions with him...

can you believe it?

money never solves anything...if there's a price to health it's always gonne be too expensive for someone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.