uncomfortable with words?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by lost_in_a_fairytale, Feb 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lost_in_a_fairytale

lost_in_a_fairytale Active Member

not sure if this is the right section to post in, but I was wondering if anyone else has this-

I've been free of depression for a year and a half (although I still have some anxiety problems every now and then) but whenever I see any words relating to depression or mental illness in general it makes me feel a bit sick/anxious and really uncomfortable. I guess because it triggers memories of it and obviously I don't want to remember it. In general I'm cheerful and ok but seeing those words anywhere - online, on tv, people saying them, makes me feel kinda on edge and just want to turn the screen off or leave. So, anyone else have this problem even after they've been free of depression (or anything I guess) for a while?
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Sure, you posted in the right area. I am also free of depression for the same length of time as you have been but I don't have your issue I just wanted to welcome you back to the forum and hope you get he answers you need. I wish you the best! If you can free yourself of depression you can do this too. :)
  3. Cicada 3301

Cicada 3301 Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

It's like you said, it reminds you of your past experiences which are still painful to think about. If it's an easy trigger for you you can try avoid it as much as possible, or confront it head on when it happens. Is it triggering particular memories or is it non-specific? It's going to come up every now and again so perhaps you can see it through next time and keep telling yourself, well, okay, this did happen and this too, but look where i am now, ive made it through. Don't let your past haunt you. Try letting it go slowly. What matters most is the here and now. A year and a half is a long time, well done clearing yourself of depression.
  4. lost_in_a_fairytale

lost_in_a_fairytale Active Member

thank you :)

yeah, it doesn't happen too often but when it does it varies in which memories it triggers. It reminds me how painful times were or specific hurtful things people said to me/did during those times. I wish we could erase memories. It makes me feel scared, as if those things are going to happen again.

That is true, I try hard to focus on life now rather than the bad things from the past, thank you.
  5. minion

minion Well-Known Member

It's word association somewhat. You have certain thoughts and feelings towards those words. I'm still dealing with my depression, and I just cringe at some of the wording and what not that is used. I'm not a big talker when it comes to certain things. Do hearing about how bad depression is affect me, yeah. I get scared that maybe this won't ever go away.
  6. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

I had this as a teenager... specifically when I tried to wrestle free of my depression on my own with the use of self-help books and articles I found online... (didn't last though... I guess I need proper therapy).

I went into a pretty good patch after that though... but every time the radio or TV mentioned words like 'depression', 'suicide', 'addiction' or the likes I felt absolutely sick to my stomach.

the past 10 years or more I've specifically felt bad just hearing the different terms of sexual abuse... Especially involving children.

So nope... you're not alone on that front. I want to hope it can get better though.
  7. Deety

Deety Well-Known Member

Yeah I have a similar feeling. I'm studying for a big final exam at the moment, and group sessions have included law around mental health. Makes me feel ill hearing and thinking about the various parts of this law, as they are what were used on me last year when I was acutely suicidal.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.