• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

Unwell

LumberJack

Huggy Bear 🐻 u r warned!
SF Supporter
#1
Lately I have been feeling very depressed but I don’t know why. It’s just a feeling of doom/regret that weighs on me. I think it’s mostly about current events. I have been spending too much time reading the news lately. It’s like an addiction. I believe the term for this is “doom scrolling”. Problem is that I get anxious about not knowing what is happening if I avoid the news entirely. Sometimes it feels as if I can barely breathe. I feel overwhelmed by sadness.

I’m working with my psychiatrist on a meds change, but meds only help so much. I don’t know what else to do but I’m going to try to fix my bike up so that I get outside more.
 

SamB

SF Supporter
#3
The news these days is more like entertainment than actual information. So stories that scare, shock, titillate, anger or upset are all more highly prized than factual information that might be a bit boring.
Maybe you could limit yourself to just the headlines or limit the amount of time you spend doing it. If something really important happens you will have found that out within the first 5 mins of looking as it will be the top story.
Getting outside and doing some exercise is an excellent idea.
 

Windhover

meandering home
SF Supporter
#6
A news fast. Cold turkey so to speak, for a week. There isn't anything you can do to change the news. So, instead of consuming information, spend that amount of time doing other stuff. Choose to switch the flow from stuff coming in to stuff going out.

I feel possibly overly strong about this as it is one of the reasons I cannot be with my ex. *hiding
 

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
Admin
SF Supporter
#7
I feel overwhelmed by sadness.
I’ve had that happen while watching/reading the news. I change the channel, find a comedy, go for a walk, snuggle my cat, call a friend.

Limiting how much if any we watch/read, balancing it with a good news site about things people are doing to help others might help.

I like @seabird’s “a news fast” — maybe you could do a cleanse, and then add just the barest bits of daily headlines back in. Focus on good little things you see in your local community. There are many people in the world who are good and kind, and their stories can help us feel better. Hope your world picks up soon!
 

Waves

Well-Known Member
#8
I am addicted to news too. It is my connection with the world as I have no family friends or life other than work
 

SamB

SF Supporter
#10
It’s obviously not the same as having actual interactions but listening to or watching live sport kind of makes me feel part of the real world somehow. I especially like the test cricket as the slow pace results in conversational commentary.
 

LumberJack

Huggy Bear 🐻 u r warned!
SF Supporter
#11
Lots of good suggestions, thanks. I tried to start a news fast today but I made it until about 11:00 before I just had to know what is going on in Ukraine. Oh well, maybe I will make it until 13:00 tomorrow. Another thing I have thought of is getting my news solely from comedy shows (such as Seth Meyer or John Oliver) - that way the sting is sort of less. But again I couldn't keep myself out of my news app with that as an incentive. @seabird I do like science. One of my YouTube subscriptions (possibly the only subscription now that I think of it) is to a channel called Veritasium (sp?) that does 20-30 min shows on things like mathematical curiosities and in-depth bios of important scientists.
 

Windhover

meandering home
SF Supporter
#12
That sounds like progress @LumberJack . Plus, comedy just helps everything.
And that channel is interesting I might look at it tonight.I am interested in it (cool math brain candy stuff) as well.
 

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
#13
Lately I have been feeling very depressed but I don’t know why. It’s just a feeling of doom/regret that weighs on me. I think it’s mostly about current events. I have been spending too much time reading the news lately. It’s like an addiction. I believe the term for this is “doom scrolling”. Problem is that I get anxious about not knowing what is happening if I avoid the news entirely. Sometimes it feels as if I can barely breathe. I feel overwhelmed by sadness.

I’m working with my psychiatrist on a meds change, but meds only help so much. I don’t know what else to do but I’m going to try to fix my bike up so that I get outside more.

When I work from home I listen to talk radio shows, or I did. I really limit them now because they talk constantly about the news and it totally brings me down. A shift to music has helped. Maybe you could play some good tunes.
 

LumberJack

Huggy Bear 🐻 u r warned!
SF Supporter
#15
Today I am very sad. I don’t know why. I feel helpless even though I know that is not true. Looking for something to give me an escape from how I feel. Trying to sit with it but also aware of not wanting to push myself too hard. Not suicidal, but wanting to not exist. Also sleepy, but I am at work. No rest for me.
 

LumberJack

Huggy Bear 🐻 u r warned!
SF Supporter
#17
I’m back to doom scrolling again. I was okay for a while, and I was feeling better. Now I have just spent about a half hour reading alarming news stories on my phone. I know better than to believe that the world is crumbling just because of so much news to that effect. But it makes me feel like shit to get wrapped up in so much negativity. Why I do this probably is because I don’t think I deserve to feel okay. I don’t have any evidence for this belief, though. I wish I could accept that I’m feeling better without having to sabotage myself.
 

Waves

Well-Known Member
#20
I’m back to doom scrolling again. I was okay for a while, and I was feeling better. Now I have just spent about a half hour reading alarming news stories on my phone. I know better than to believe that the world is crumbling just because of so much news to that effect. But it makes me feel like shit to get wrapped up in so much negativity. Why I do this probably is because I don’t think I deserve to feel okay. I don’t have any evidence for this belief, though. I wish I could accept that I’m feeling better without having to sabotage myself.
I do that do. Search news for sad stories. I think it is a symptom of Depression. I feel better in summer when it is warmer. Hope you do too.
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top